Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Htpark123

Default Block heater problem

I just bought the 2000 friendship and the battery for starting goes dead after two days !! I opened the engine door to check the levels and the overflow tank is hot !! So I was looking for a switch for the block heater and can’t find anything on it !!
Htpark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Chuck v

The block heater on my 2007 Tour Master was operated off of an 110 VAC circuit (shore power, or generator...but definitely not any of the batteries.

Mine just plugged into an outlet in the basement compartment that housed the power cord reel and could be unplugged there, or as an alternative you could turn off the circuit breaker labeled "engine heater" in the breaker box under the residential refrigerator.

Your engine starting batteries are being drained from some other load, or perhaps they are just end of life and need replacement. Have you had them checked under load by an auto parts store? Also note that the shore power does not typiclly charge these engine batteries, which are charged from the engine alternator. I added a float charge system to my coach since it was docked most of the time while I lived aboard.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Htpark123

Thanks I’m new to this RV thing I’ve been driving tour bus for 13 years and thought it would be a easy change over but the bus is a no brainer I found the plug and I’m hoping
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Frutza

At least you know it works!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Htpark123

Yes works well lol
Old 06-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
RayChez1

The block heater on my Scenic Cruiser turns off and on, on the side of the box of the bed. On my coach it has a switch box there with an amber light on it. When the light is on means the block heater is on. I use it in the winter months when we have cold weather. The engine starts a lot easier. The outlet for the block heater is where the inverter and the AC 50 amp chord reels in. Plug is on the top of the compartment. As to the battery problem, it will not be the block heater since that runs off AC power. Check the two twelve volt batteries with a load tester and see if they are good or need replacement. I have changed the last two with commercial heavy duty batteries that Napa sells and they are maintenance free batteries, and I am very happy with them. They have been lasting five to seven years on my coach. If the batteries test good, then you have something draining them when you are not using the coach. On my coach the chassis batteries do not charge with the inverter/charger, they only charge with the big Cat engine alternator. House batteries which are four six volt batteries hooked up in series and they do charge with the Inverter/charger.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
# block heater