Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #1
ldanes

Default 2005 6340 Gulf Stream Endura

6340 Gulf Stream Endura

We took delivery of our 2005 Gulf Stream 6340 Endura (35? two slide model) February 2005.

Yesterday we returned from our seventh trip. Two trips to San Francisco, three trips to the High Sierras, and two trips to the Sacramento area. We traded in our 28? TT for the motor home.
We wanted to be able to tow our Jeep with our living unit. A motor home was the only way that would happen. (A Jeep is an excellent vehicle in the City of San Francisco.)

So far the Endura has been an excellent highway vehicle. Ours came with a diesel engine and a diesel 5.5kw generator.
The diesel provides all the power needed to pull the Jeep in the High Sierras, and over the Grapevine in Southern California with power to spare. On the flat highway I use the overdrive position all of the time. The Allison transmission is very good doing what is was made for. The Duramax diesel engine has an exhaust brake that works very well when needed to provide braking going down the mountain passes.

The wife and I are delighted with the elevation in the cab when on the road. It gives you a lot of forward vision that we did not have with our F 250 crew cab towing the TT. This is a major plus in the safety area. Also the turning radius is fantastic even when towing. Yesterday on the way home I had to make a u-turn. It took only a parking lane with the four street lanes to complete the u-turn.

The living area has plenty of room for the wife and I. Sometimes when on the road our daughter will fly in and meet up with us. The queen size bed over the cab is comfortable for her and our storage. That leaves the sofa and dinning table available for its intended use. We carry a small coffee table for our use when we have the slide out.

Yes the bathroom is a bit tight. The shower is good due to Gulf Stream using a dome skylight.

I took care of the house battery issue by getting an automatic battery cell watering system. (Not much room on the topside of the batteries could be placed in a better location.)

There have been some very minor issues with the motor home. All have been corrected by our repair service with parts coming from Gulf Stream in a very prompt time frame.

I would like to see a two-way water heater propane/electrical. Ours came with just a propane type.
Also house batteries in an improved position for service, and removal, and replacement.

The wife and I will post more information about our new MH as we travel. We are planning a trip to Montana and South Dakota in the fall.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
s79vette

Sounds like you got yourself a nice rig. Been to S.F. a few times, my grandma was info clerk at Fairmont Hotel for 40 years. Don't tell us you pulled Jeep all over town, quite a feat to say the least. Steve
P.S. I'm a native son, born in Santa Rosa during the war.
s79vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
ldanes

NO! Do not take a large MH into the City of San Francisco. Towing or not.
We leave the MH in a RV park in the City of Pacifica. It is parking lot type RVing but it is very safe and very close to San Francisco. Walking distance to a Safeway market ect. We use the Jeep to travel the City and the Marin area, plus Napa Valley.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
gsadmin

Amen to that!

Back in '92 it drove a 21' minnie winnie in and around the streets of san francisco and that was quite a feat...i cannot even imagine doing it with a larger rig and a toad!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote