Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Zonic2001

Default Need info on ladder and TV for GulfBreeze

I'm purchasing a GulfBreeze Sports 25TSS. Wanted to install a rear ladder but called the manufacturer and they told me that they don't put a ladder on those TT and they don't provide a roof bloker to screw the ladder on the roof either. Has anyone here install a ladder anyways? Is the fiberglass exterior construction strong enough to hold it? Should I helicoil the mounting holes to make them stronger into the fiberglass? Can you tell me which ladder manufacturer and ladder length?

Also, since I'm new to this, the TT has a TV bracket, I called the manufacturer and they told me that the biggest one that can be install is a 19" TV. Anyone has a TV suggestion? I want to see it from the bedroom but also stretch it and turn it around to see it from the living room area. Anything I should know to look for on TVs for this travel trailer? I know it needs to have a coaxial attachment (not component). Anything else I should know? Or look for?
Zonic2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
keithinspace

I don't have a Gulf Breeze, but if there is not a place to mount the ladder, I wouldn't drill into the roof. It's very thin wood unless you HAPPEN to drill into one of the bands...even then, there isn't much there.

I would not simply rely on drilling into the fiberglass, either. I would feel more comfortable if you could 'rest' the lower portion of the ladder on something like the rear bumper or somewhere. Then you're not relying on your rear-wall connections in shear, just straight tension. Rather than helicoils, I'd probably figure something up using short lag bolts.

Once you've figured on all that, I don't know that I wouldn't just make my own ladder. There are a variety of ways you could make one with plumbing fittings...sounds ghetto, but you could probably make it look pretty nice with a little effort and a few grinder wheels.

As far as the TV, there are any number of ways to tackle that. Our 'entertainment' area is also the barrier between the living room and bedroom on our 255BH, so I drilled straight through the wall and cross-mounted two TV brackets on both sides of the wall, held together with Grade 8 bolts. I have a 23" LCD on the bedroom side and a 32" LED on the living room side. The bedroom is on a straight mount and the living room is on a swing-arm. A couple hours making a surround to keep it in one place when in transit and I was in business. Even have a DVD player on one side and a BluRay on the other, wired so I can watch the video from either player on either (or both) TVs.

If you're mounting to an exterior wall, you could also mount a "sub-plate" of more solid wood that will handle the stress of a larger TV. Most importantly, you're trying to spred out the moment load over a large area so your bolts don't pull out. Do it out of nice poplar or a birch-laminated plywood and you can make it look really good. Then attach your mount to that. Much better than bolting it directly to your trailer wall.

Hope that helps.

Keith
keithinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Zonic2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithinspace
I don't have a Gulf Breeze, but if there is not a place to mount the ladder, I wouldn't drill into the roof. It's very thin wood unless you HAPPEN to drill into one of the bands...even then, there isn't much there.

I would not simply rely on drilling into the fiberglass, either. I would feel more comfortable if you could 'rest' the lower portion of the ladder on something like the rear bumper or somewhere. Then you're not relying on your rear-wall connections in shear, just straight tension. Rather than helicoils, I'd probably figure something up using short lag bolts.

Once you've figured on all that, I don't know that I wouldn't just make my own ladder. There are a variety of ways you could make one with plumbing fittings...sounds ghetto, but you could probably make it look pretty nice with a little effort and a few grinder wheels.

As far as the TV, there are any number of ways to tackle that. Our 'entertainment' area is also the barrier between the living room and bedroom on our 255BH, so I drilled straight through the wall and cross-mounted two TV brackets on both sides of the wall, held together with Grade 8 bolts. I have a 23" LCD on the bedroom side and a 32" LED on the living room side. The bedroom is on a straight mount and the living room is on a swing-arm. A couple hours making a surround to keep it in one place when in transit and I was in business. Even have a DVD player on one side and a BluRay on the other, wired so I can watch the video from either player on either (or both) TVs.

If you're mounting to an exterior wall, you could also mount a "sub-plate" of more solid wood that will handle the stress of a larger TV. Most importantly, you're trying to spred out the moment load over a large area so your bolts don't pull out. Do it out of nice poplar or a birch-laminated plywood and you can make it look really good. Then attach your mount to that. Much better than bolting it directly to your trailer wall.

Hope that helps.

Keith
Thanks Keith!!!
Zonic2001 is offline   Reply With Quote