Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
72chevy4x4

Default 96' battery charger upgrade

The Sun Voyager has the original charging system and I'm considering upgrading the electrical system with a higher quality charger and possibly an inverter for handling some dry camping chores. The original electrical box/charger has a fan and when it's on it gets very hot. Six months ago I went out to find no juice inside the coach and did some trouble shooting to find the wire inside the electrical box had 'melted' off. I reattached the wire, thinking a loose connection caused the added heat (terminals should be sufficiently tight for electrical conductance) and failure.

Does anyone have suggestions on upgrading the charging system for the batteries? Would it be advised to change out the electrical box and get a solid state device that has the breakers, 12v converter and charger inside or piece together components-if possible?

AS I'm looking to include an inverter at some point, is there an inverter packaged with a high quality battery charger that is a good choice? Would this charge only the house batteries? Does the coach battery get its charge from the same coach charger or does it only charge from the coaches engine? My coach does have a button on the dash for linking the coach/house battery.