Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Dean Nix

Default Tire Failure

Add me to the Carlisle failure list. When I returned from Labor Day weekend I discovered a defective tire. Its tread was starting to separate. I have never been happy with the 15? load rang ?D? Carlisle tires that were on my unit as new. So I decided it was high time to replaced them. I wanted a better margin of safety so I ordered (5) 16? wheels, and had Michelin XPS Ribs, 245/75R16?s Load Range ?E? installed. The GVWR of my unit was determined by the Load Range of the tires and those tires had a terrible reputation. Now the tires combined load ranges exceed the axles load range and the tires have a very good reputation.

As for the failed Carlisle: Carlisle has offered to evaluate all (5) for reimbursement compensation but I am not holding my breath.

I have a wireless tire monitoring system and these tires have never been low. The failing tire showed no indication in pressure that it was about to catastrophically fail. I have been on the scales and I am not over these tires max loads. However, the trailer was designed to have only a 2400 lbs cargo capacity limited and determined by the tire max loads.
'01 F250 C/C, Lariat, LWB, V-10 and 4.3 rear
That's 22' of truck
Last RV was a Class-a Cheiftain
Dean Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
gator

Default carlisle tires

First thing done when i parked the rig in front yard was to pack up new 16" rims and Michelin tires. The tire guy is an old friend and would not even take the chinese junk in trade. I'm eventually going to move up to a class A so i'm saving the original junk to put on the fiver when and if we trade up. We took a 10,000 mile trip thru 18 states this summer and the Michelins were a great piece of mind. The other relief was the fiver tailgate i installed before we left town. One less item to worry about.