Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
tarnolds

Default Batteries not maintained by solar panel.

I have a 2014 gulf stream interstate with factory installed solar panel. We live in Arizona and just replaced the house batteries and went on one weekend trip were everything worked well. We then parked it for 6 weeks in plenty of sun, I believe I turned house the main battery disconnect switch at the sliding door, (down); however after 6 weeks of no use the batteries are dead or at 4 volts. Why is the solar not charging or maintaining the batteries. Should the sliding door switch for main power be up, during storage? Why does the solar charger always say the batteries are 100 percent when there not. Something seems a miss, or were not putting it in the right mode for storage. Does anyone have an idea what we're doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
tarnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
tarnolds

Default Re: Batteries not maintained by solar panel.

Doing a little more research on this project, I have found that the solar system seems to be wired to the engine main battery, house batteries do not appear to be charged from the solar. There appears to be a number of parasitic loads that are connected to the house batteries, which can not be turned off except by the physical battery disconnect. I can't find where the switch located by the sliding doors does anything, it does not disable the batteries, like it says it supposed to do. What is the purpose of the switch by the sliding doors? Is the solar every able to charge the house batteries, seems like a real deficiency. Without out a wiring diagram, I'm just trying to understand the original design and intentions as to how it's supposed to work. Wish I had some wiring diagrams, as it's definitely not how I would have expected it to be designed. The house batteries are under constant load, but there is now charging system in place to replace the parasitic loads. I've already loss one set of battteries by let it sit in the sun for 6 weeks.
tarnolds is offline   Reply With Quote