Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
djqualls

Default Mystery Cable in 2006 Tourmaster

I have a mystery 110 vac cable handing down in the compartment that housed the shore power cord and convertor/charger.

There is a single outlet plug wired within reach of the cable as well however I just noticed it tonight and went Hmmm....

I'm assuming that it maybe some cold weather related heater cord since there is a breaker labeled I think "Tank Heater"

Now For the Question...............

Does anyone know what it might be and how can I test to qualify what it is?

Thanks

Dave........
Old 08-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
RV Wizard

It is probably your engine block heater. Call your dealer and ask them if this is so. Good luck and enjoy!
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Yes, That is your engine block heater cord/plug hanging down. I have used ours in our last two coaches usually when we get ready to leave after Christmas for Florida to escape the Ohio winter.

Plug it in about an hour before you want to start the engine in temps below freezing and the engine will start like it is summer. Of couirse you either have to be plugged into 110v or have the generator running.

I have used both ways, since we keep our RV in the RV storage area here at the home base due to regulations of only 24 hours of time RV permitted at the home for loading/unloading.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
djqualls

Thanks Everyone!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
djqualls

Well I plugged the mystery cable in yesterday and it throws the 15 amp GFI breaker. Hmmm........

Who would work on that? Cat? Freightliner? GS warranty?

The reason I even found this out was because I went to start the rig after it had set in the shop for about a month connected to shore power and the engine battery was too weak to start the engine. Hmmmm. I have a inteli Power 9180 convertor on the rig.

Does it charge the engine battery or just the house battery?

I thought the charge button and level indicator that is on the Xantrex controlled all of the invertor batteries as well as the coach and engine batteries. Lesson learned.

Anyone have any advice about the engine battery, or do you need to run engine to charge that one?

Thanks

Dave.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
Well I plugged the mystery cable in yesterday and it throws the 15 amp GFI breaker. Hmmm........

Who would work on that? Cat? Freightliner? GS warranty?

The reason I even found this out was because I went to start the rig after it had set in the shop for about a month connected to shore power and the engine battery was too weak to start the engine. Hmmmm. I have a inteli Power 9180 convertor on the rig.

Does it charge the engine battery or just the house battery?

I thought the charge button and level indicator that is on the Xantrex controlled all of the invertor batteries as well as the coach and engine batteries. Lesson learned.

Anyone have any advice about the engine battery, or do you need to run engine to charge that one?

Thanks

Dave.
Dave,
Guess I would have GFI problem checked by the GS Warranty and go from there on that one.

It is strange that you have a converter and a charger/inverter

On our present coach and previous, we have/had just the Xantrex Inverter/Charger. The inverter only charges/maintains the coach batteries and not the chassis batteries.

When we are sitting in one place, like we are in Florida right now, I always start the engine at least once a month to make sure the batteries do not discharge. If we are not using the coach, then I always turn the battery disconnect switch off located in the right rear compartment so there are no parasite drain on them.

I know some install a battery minder/charger on the chassis batteries to keep them fully charged. This is a small unit that will keep the batteries charged, but not overcharge or boil them.

Ron
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
djqualls

Quote:
Dave,
Guess I would have GFI problem checked by the GS Warranty and go from there on that one.

It is strange that you have a converter and a charger/inverter

Ron
Ron I have an Xantrex inverter in the street side front compartment and an Intellipower converter/charger in the rear streetside compartment where the shore cord is located along with the engine heater power cord and the gfi plug that trips when I plug the engine heater into it.

I am assuming that the xantrex unit charges the 4 six volt batteries, and the inteli power charges the house and/or maybe not chassis battery. The inteli power is plugged into a seperate AC plug in the same compartment.

As I read more posts on rv.net about chargers Am I carrectly to believe that this converter/charger only charges the house batteries and the engine/chassis battery is left to the engine alternator like a regular vehicle? If so I wouldn't think that a month of inactivity would let the engine battery run down unless it may be weak.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
RJ82much

I always get confused whether "chassis" is intended to mean engine or house.

The purpose of the converter is to charge your house batteries. You can charge your engine battery from the house batteries by pressing the dash button with the picture of the battery. If you are plugged into shore power (or generator is running), you will be able to charge the engine battery with that button more efficiently. The button energizes the Intellitec relay. The Intellitec IRD was not intended for this, but it works. It is a handy way to get your engine running if the engine battery is dead, or to get your generator running if your house batteries have crapped out.

This Intellitec IRD (Isolator Relay Delay) system will automatically charge your house batteries after some charge is applied to your engine battery. It is called "split charging". It uses the engine alternator, a high capacity source of 12 volts.

On to the GFI tripping problem. Your block heater may be bad & the GFI is working properly (to save you from electrocution) Or, perhaps you need a conventional (non-GFI) outlet. I think I would 1st ground your coach (frame to electric panel), plug in engine heater to an extension cord from shore power to see if breaker trips. If not, I'd disconnect the power cord & the ground wire, connect an AC voltmeter to electric panel and to coach frame & repeat the experiment. If you see anything more than a couple volts, you've got a problem with the block-heater (or something else) that needs to be addressed.

Measuring voltage to earth-ground isn't valid when using your generator. However, the use of a GFI could be a problem regardless of the source of the AC power.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
djqualls

Bob,

I am plugged into shore power. Do I just press the dash button? If so when does the IRD disengage? And Lastly on this one.... Will it hurt for me just to press it and let it charge while setting and not worry about needing to reset the IRD or anything?

I believe that the GFI circuit is working prob properly. It may be a shorted heater. I will have the test performed as you describe. (Good Friend is an electrician)

Is there any quick way to determine if the heater is working? (i.e. Anywhere to feel the heat)
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
RJ82much

Dave,

The dash button puts the house & engine batteries together only as long as you hold the button. If you can't start your engine & you are on shore power, hold the button in for maybe 3 minutes. That should put some charge into the engine battery. Then, still holding the dash button in, try the ignition to start your engine. If the engine starts, let up on the dash button - its job is done & the alternator will take it from there.

If the engine won't turn over enough to start after the 1st try, continue to hold it for another period of time. Monitor that you're accomplishing something by turning on the headlights for a short time. They should glow normally if you are getting charge to the engine battery. (Just don't keep them on)

"They" say to not leave dissimilar batteries connected in parallel for long periods of time. I believe it, & wouldn't do it myself. So no, don't be tempted to jamb the dash button down for extended periods of time. You could overcharge some cells in one of your batteries & shorten it's life.

There is nothing to reset in the Intellitec IRD. The dash button merely bypasses the controller for the actual relay coil. It reverts to normal, automatic operation when you release the dash button.

Someone else may be able to shed some light on the block heater. In my tractor, I can hear a faint noise in the area of the heater, like oil bubbling? Shees, I hope not.

Just a word of caution while you are evaluating the heater for a potential short. As you stand on the damp earth outside your coach, be carefull you don't become the path to ground. If you follow exactly as I described, you'll be fine, even if there is a bad block heater. It's a good idea to enlist the help or advice of your licensed electrician friend. (That's called a sanity check in my business)

Good luck - work safe - let us know what you find out

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
Quote:
Ron I have an Xantrex inverter in the street side front compartment and an Intellipower converter/charger in the rear streetside compartment where the shore cord is located along with the engine heater power cord and the gfi plug that trips when I plug the engine heater into it.

I am assuming that the xantrex unit charges the 4 six volt batteries, and the inteli power charges the house and/or maybe not chassis battery. The inteli power is plugged into a seperate AC plug in the same compartment.

As I read more posts on rv.net about chargers Am I carrectly to believe that this converter/charger only charges the house batteries and the engine/chassis battery is left to the engine alternator like a regular vehicle? If so I wouldn't think that a month of inactivity would let the engine battery run down unless it may be weak.
Dave,

Look at your Xantrex on the front and see what model it is and if it states it is a Inverter/Charger.
Mine is a Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger and I have no converter. The Inverter/Charger charges/maintains the 4 house batteries in my coach.

It appears that you have a Xantrex Inverter that does not have the charging feature and that is why you have an converter to charge the 4 house batteries, but check the model on the inverter and let me know.

Bob has given you some good info on the emergency battery starting circuit.

Ron
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
djqualls

Quote:
Dave,

Look at your Xantrex on the front and see what model it is and if it states it is a Inverter/Charger.
Mine is a Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger and I have no converter. The Inverter/Charger charges/maintains the 4 house batteries in my coach.
Ron,

Yes I have the same inverter/charger however the charger as I understand it only charges the 4 six volt golf cart type batteries that power the inverter.

The Inteli Power convertor located in the shore power cord compartment charges the 2 twelve volt house batteries. The 2 twelve volt engine batteries are at the mercy of the alternator on the C7 cat engine or the bypass switch as Bob had explained.

I think this clears things up. for me.

SUMMARY....

Inverter/charger charges the inverter batteries

Inteli Power charges the two house batteries.

Engine alternator charges the two engine batteries.

Thus, If I don't disengage the power relay switch by the door and not run the coach every couple of weeks, transient power drain from the engine electroinics and various electronics and sensors wired to these batteries will naturally drain these batteries....

I think my best bet is to just travel more!!!!

Thanks fellas...........
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
RJ82much

You know Dave, that sounds like a plan to me!!!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Okay, now I get it. You have six batteries, two house and 4 for the inverter. That is why you have an Inverter and a converter.

Really had me confused. I only have 4-6 volt batteries that run the inverter and also used for the house 12 volt systems.

I also have 2-12 starting batteries for engine.

I am no longer confused.

Yep, traveling and using the coach sounds like the best plan.

Ron
Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
rdlamb

Default Nifty idea

Sorry about the late post, but I just joined. Hopefully you receive this as a new post.

I also have 6 volt batteries in the front compartment, where I can look at or service my generator. Stupidly, I thought these were for the Onan generator. Humm,,, think I'll change them to some Optimas.

But, since I am a full timer, several times I have sat to long and found my chassis (starts the engine) batteries drained. I thought that you were supposed to hold that connection switch for a few seconds, then try to start the engine. It worked well for me.

Fixed my chassis battery problems. In the compartment with the electrical cord is the 110v outlet for the engine block heater. Bought a BatteryMinder/Conditioner and plugged it in there. Drilled a hole to the battery compartment. Insert a rubber gromet. Used the eyelet connectors. Plug in the BatteryMinder and Voila, charges w/o overcharging, conditions & desulfinates, and full cranking power when it is time to move.

So, in the battery compartment are (2) 12 volt batterys for the engine;
(2) 12 Volt batteries for the coach and up front are (4) 6 volt batteries for the inverter? Me thinks I'm learning something.
Thanks.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #16
djqualls

Thanks,

I like the battery minder idea. Don't need the engine heater in Oklahoma.

Welcome to the board......