Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Curt Krueger

Default Supplimental Braking Systems

I continue to read about these braking systems and also about people who tow without them because their state does not require them because their state does not require them if the toad is under 3500 lbs. What about the states which require them for over 3000 lbs. Do you stay away from those states, or are you grandfathered in because your state doesn't require them? Just curious about this.

Curt
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Texas TC

The argument I have heard is that states generally do not have laws that specifically designate a towed vehicle as a trailer. Most states have laws that dictate when brakes are required on trailers but not cars, trucks, ect. being towed behind anything. All the auxiliary brake manufacturers like to show those pretty spread sheets and colorful maps instructing you which state requires brakes at what weight. But if you will look close, it will specifically talk about trailers.

I own a Roadmaster auxiliary braking system. I absolutely hate it. In my case, my combined weight of the coach and the towed vehicle does not meet my GVWR of 25900# and no where close to the GCWR of 33000# so I am not putting undue pressure on the brake system of my coach. I carry a certified weight ticket showing this fact in case one of the weights and measure boys ever stops me and wants to discuss it while I am on a trip. I also carry the auxiliary brake system in the basement of the coach in case the officer wins the argument.

I have towed my Jeep almost 30000 miles in the last 22 months and only used the brake system 3000 of those miles. I prefer not to use it.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Arthur Hayes

I have to disagree with you about the need for towed vehicle brake systems. I have been a professional driver all of my adult life (over 40 years) and I appreciate all of the braking power that I can get. I have tested my unit with and without the toad brakes and there is a significant difference in stopping distance. You just never know when an emergency stop is going to be necessary. As far as the "Trailer" definition, any thing that is being towed is a trailer.

Perhaps you should look at other braking systems for your rig.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Curt Krueger

Default Supplimental Braking Systems

Arthur,
When I posted this question I was trying real hard not to ruffle any feathers .
I have read over and over about braking system appartus being kept in the basement just in case. I am so glad you use yours and have had a need for it on the road.
I too use mine and have had several occasions when it made the difference to a very bad outcome. Have you ever driven through Havasu City with their 16 stop lights and very short yellow lights. I have had to use my brakes hard several times and really think my toad brakes saved me from a different fate.

Curt
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
rdlamb

Hi Curt:

The FMC site has a great article about aux brake systems for your toad. Take it from the professional driver, Art, and myself, if you tow a toad you need an aux brake system.

I have had individuals cut me off, pull in front of me, sudden stops while going down 6% grades and more, where my aux brake system more than saved my bacon, it saved my wife and two pets.

You tow a Blazer, with a Crescendo. The extra weight of the Blazer will "push" the Crescendo and negate some of your braking power.

I use the U.S. Gear Unified braking system. For the only reason that the dealer that I bought it from recommended it. Since then (almost 3 years), I have seen and considered other systems. We all have our opinions, but any system that works, regardless of the "hassle" of use, is worth it.

Oh, Canada will require an aux system on all toads. And, I am one luck individual who was part of a routine courtesy check (along with 100 others), where the officer mentioned he appreciated the aux system and would have ticket me if I lacked one.

Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
elswls

Default toad brakes

Just a comment: After our first trip in our first motorhome in 1999, I installed a toad brake system, mostly out of curiosity, to see if it made a difference. On the next trip, a car pulled out of a C-store and stopped in front of us, apparently waiting to get into the next lane. I was amazed how much quicker we stopped (without hitting him). Without the toad brake, we would have been in his back seat by the time we stopped. At that point, I wasn't too concerned whether or not the toad brake was "required" by law. We had a 35' V-10 Pace Arrow pulling a 2900 lb toad, and it stopped pretty good before I installed the toad brake, but not good enough for that situation.
elswls is offline   Reply With Quote