Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
tonigil

Default Question? BTC loud whistling noise.

I have a 2005 BTC. On the passenger side I have a loud noise that sounds like the wind is coming in through the door. I brought it to my independent RV repair shop and they are great people. They have always helped me in the past. And I must say that GS has been really great in authorizing any repairs under Warranty.
Anyway, I was told that this noise is a Ford Chassis problem. My BTC has been at the Ford Dealer now for 2 weeks. I was told that the wind noise was not coming from the door but rather from the "Climate Control Vent".
They have said that they have checked out all of the vents and resealed them. They said that they would be checking with the "Ford Tech" to see what the next step is to fix it. Every time I call they tell me that they are still checking. I stopped there on Thursday and my RV is still sitting in the same spot. So I went it to talk to them and was told they would call me this past Friday. No call.
Now my question....Have any of you ever had this loud wind noise and was there a solution?
Thank you, Toni
My web site............
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeojvhi/t...in2/index.html
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Eddie Coble

Default Re: Question? BTC loud whistling noise.

Toni,

When I purchased my 2006 BTC I was told by one service person it did not really matter if I installed the GS provided slide-out jacks and another said be sure to install the jacks before traveling. I found out latter, from a more informed dealer, that GS had issued a memo to all dealers concerning the installations of slide-out jacks before moving the coach.

There are two reasons for the jacks:
1. To hold the slide-out tight against the shell of the coach preventing rain from getting into the storage area and to insure a good seal around the rubber parts. I guess this is why I had excessive cold air in the coach when I made a short trip in cold weather.
2. To keep the slide-out from moving out. Without the jacks installed, the slide-out is almost free moving only restricted by the motor and screw which moves the slide in or out. This is very much a safety issue. When the slides are in, the bottom of the slide is held in place by the mechanism and the only way to secure the top is by the jacks on each upper corner. A pain? Yes! ? Needed? Yes!

So, my point is, perhaps your air problem may be from the slide and not in the Ford end.

Just a thought from an old country boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigil
I have a 2005 BTC. On the passenger side I have a loud noise that sounds like the wind is coming in through the door. I brought it to my independent RV repair shop and they are great people. They have always helped me in the past. And I must say that GS has been really great in authorizing any repairs under Warranty.
Anyway, I was told that this noise is a Ford Chassis problem. My BTC has been at the Ford Dealer now for 2 weeks. I was told that the wind noise was not coming from the door but rather from the "Climate Control Vent".
They have said that they have checked out all of the vents and resealed them. They said that they would be checking with the "Ford Tech" to see what the next step is to fix it. Every time I call they tell me that they are still checking. I stopped there on Thursday and my RV is still sitting in the same spot. So I went it to talk to them and was told they would call me this past Friday. No call.
Now my question....Have any of you ever had this loud wind noise and was there a solution?
Thank you, Toni
My web site............
Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
tonigil

Default Re: Question? BTC loud whistling noise.

Eddie, I think that I will make sure the next time I go out that I have the jacks in place. But, the air noise is coming from only the passenger side up by the windsheild. Also, the slide is on the driver's side.
But, I will try the jacks to see what happens.
Thanks Toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Coble
Toni,

When I purchased my 2006 BTC I was told by one service person it did not really matter if I installed the GS provided slide-out jacks and another said be sure to install the jacks before traveling. I found out latter, from a more informed dealer, that GS had issued a memo to all dealers concerning the installations of slide-out jacks before moving the coach.

There are two reasons for the jacks:
1. To hold the slide-out tight against the shell of the coach preventing rain from getting into the storage area and to insure a good seal around the rubber parts. I guess this is why I had excessive cold air in the coach when I made a short trip in cold weather.
2. To keep the slide-out from moving out. Without the jacks installed, the slide-out is almost free moving only restricted by the motor and screw which moves the slide in or out. This is very much a safety issue. When the slides are in, the bottom of the slide is held in place by the mechanism and the only way to secure the top is by the jacks on each upper corner. A pain? Yes! ? Needed? Yes!

So, my point is, perhaps your air problem may be from the slide and not in the Ford end.

Just a thought from an old country boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigil
Thank you, Toni
My web site............
Old 02-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
mhowel

We have the 5291 and never put the jacks in place. One big reason is I believe that I would forget them, and then it would be a mess. To my way of thinking, when the rooms are in, the cantilever effect of the room will hold the seals tight. The screw will hold the bottom tight. Also ours have never loosened from the wall . Marv
mhowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
pete beale

Default BTC loud whistling noise

I have just collected my new BT CRUISER 3slide from the docks and noticed that the slide out jacks were not fitted from the factory.I drove 150 miles home and noticed a lot of wind noise from drivers side .around the door..but it looks GREAT..Just cannot wait to PDI it and prepare it for the road and start correcting all the nigly little factory faults..Pete Beale UK.