Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
nanahow

Default refrigerator

anyone have troublke with things freezing in ref, i aean everything. there is no way to turn it down says it is preset
nanahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
The Old Guy

Default Refridgerator

Yes, I have had same problem. Had it in to two different shops, both said it was fixed, neither fixed it. Sorry I don't have an answer except to keep a thermometer in there and turn it off when it gets to 30 or 32 degress, trun it on when it reaches 40.
Difficult to control if you are out for the day, I let it get down during the night and try not to open too much in AM (ha).

Not a good workaround, or cure, but... PS, there is a slide on the fins of the unit, inside below the freezer. Supposidly sliding that up or down changes the temp in the box. Did not work for me.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

What make and model of refrigerator?

Did you check the manufacturers website for information on how to adjust?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
The Old Guy

Default Fridge

GStream40,
I don't know about nanahow, but i did not check manufactur's site. I did check their manuals that came with the unit. It is a Dometic (is that how you say it?). Don't know the model except a top freezer and lower fridge.

In my case, with two companies and the manual providing no help, I figured to live with it or complain loud enough for the company to do something about it, but never have had much success with that. That may be coming soon, though, as we have to make a 1 month trip in August.

But now that you bring it up, I personally am going to their web site to see if they have anything on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
The Old Guy

Default Fridge again

Well, I went to their site. It was as I expected. Their FAQ's are numb and meaningless, there are no technical sources available and if you want to pose a question, guess what! Go see your local authorized repairman. So that takes me full circle, been there and done that.

If you here a loud noise around the middle of August, that's me screaming at the company. Mainly because there won't be much more help than they have already provided. We shall see. Maybe I will be pleasently surprised. I was by Gulfstream, they competently took care of a serious problem at their factory last fall. Polite, pleasent and efficient.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Well, if it was me with your problem, I would email Dometic, call them until I got someone on the line with an answer on how to stop everything from freezing or they would replace the unit. In other words I would be a thorn in their side until I got my frig repaired or replaced.

If you do call them or email, you will need to know the model number and serial number of the frig. Dometic is really a good company to work with and they do stand behind their products.

The sensor on the fin, did you try moving it to a different fin and placing it between the fins as much as possible to a much colder area?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
The Old Guy

Default More on the fridge

HO boy! that sensor has been all over the fins!! First I moved it around and then the repair shops did and assumed that I knew nothing about the sensor and then told me it was fixed!!! HaHa.

Of course you are right that my next move should be to call Dometic, I am just afraid that they will just tell me to go to their "certified" technician. If you really want to know how I have fared doing like that, go above and read my post about the automatic transfer switch.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I really do appreciate it. Now you got me thinking, maybe I will call them tomorrow just to see what they say. At least the problem will be registered with them.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
nanahow

Default refrigerator

ok i e-mailed dometic with all requoired info reply take to service center.
also we can not find a sensor on the fins... where is it.
nanahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
The Old Guy

The "sensor" is a little sliding thing located on one of the fins that are below the freezer in the refridgerator compartment. Mine was located on the right side about half way up the fin. It is a small device that fits on the fin. The only foreign object that is there.

Maybe we have different units, but in their home site they all seem to have the fins in the same location when there is a freezer above.

I am going to the unit to find the model and i will post that later.