Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
TurtleMan

Default can I set up trailer to have 2 batteries run different things

I Have a 2020 vista cruiser 19csk the battery in the front runs the basics such as water pump,furnace,stereo,lights and I think usb ports. I am wondering if there is a way set up electrical to have the battery run the things as it does and have another battery run everything else which would be light the outlets. I have a goal zero 3000 that I use to plug into shore power to run the system however when its plugged in it runs everything I think and it keeps the battery on the front charged. I would like the goal zero when plugged into shore power just run the things the 12v battery doesnt however I would also like to be able to have when plugged into shore via 30 amp electrical run everything and also charge both batteries like when I am at home or a full hookup site.

Is that possible?
Thanks in advance
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

It seems to me that you are set up exactly how you want...

You want a second battery to power your 120v AC outlets. Well, you would need an additional battery, and you would need an inverter to change the battery's 12v DC power to AC. That is exactly what your Goal Zero is. Battery power with a built-in inverter to provide AC power. You are plugging your trailer's shore power cord, presumably with a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, into the Goal Zero to power the trailer's outlets. Correct?

The perceived issue for you is that you do not want Goal Zero battery power going to charge your one 12v house battery via the CONVERTER. Correct? Okay, that's totally reasonable, then all you need to do is turn off the circuit-breaker in your power center for the converter circuit. Typically, the converter will be on its own circuit, so it will have its own breaker. Simply turn it off when you do not want the converter on and charging your house battery, and turn it back on when you do.

Monitor your battery and don't let it drop below 12.0 volts, and add charging if it does.

When plugging the trailer power cord into actual shore power, turn the converter circuit-breaker back on.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
TurtleMan

OMG thank you very much that is exactly what I needed
TurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
hossross

I commend you for not only solving the problem, but restating it so that even I understood what he was wanting to accomplish. Nice work!! I assume most know that a 12 V battery fully charged should be between 12.8 and 13.6 volts. When the voltage drops to 12 volts actual, the battery is 50% discharged and if one discharges a battery more than that it shortens the battery life My question to you is how is the inverter wired to the 110V Wall outlets and then the wall receptacles isolated from 110/120 shore power. Does the inverter have diodes or a relay to prevent back flow. And how do you ACCURATELY monitor the battery voltage without using a portable hand held volt meter at the battery. Do you have a remote gauge set up to display the voltage inside your coach?
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote