Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Zaphod

Default Single axle towing? Gulf Stream Visa Erd 19

Hi. New here. Considering buying the above trailer. We like the layout and pretty much everything about it, but note that it's single axle. My FIL has a big thing about tandem vs single, but I note that it's a pretty light trailer.

What are your experiences with towing this model? Do you hate it? I have a 5.8 litre engine with good towing rating, so I'm not concerned about that aspect for now, but I may downside to a smaller truck like a Tacoma.

I don't know if a single axle is a bad thing or not. I know it's common in smaller trailers.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
RinconVTR

Default Re: Single axle towing? Gulf Stream Visa Erd 19

A flat with a single axle or tandem will stop you in your tracks. The extra axle is only for weight capacity, which lighter trailers do not need.

If worried, replace the OEM tires with Maxis or Carlisle Radial RH series tires and carry a spare with one of the same. Both are very good tires with very few reports of failure.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
atreis

x2 - In either case if you have a flat, you have to stop and change it. With the tandem axle trailer, the additional axle is there to allow for more weight capacity, not as back-up. After you have a flat, the remaining good tire will be severely overloaded. Also, the tandem axle's load adjuster will push the flat tire down to the road - if you keep going it will shred and could do quite a lot of damage to the wheel well.

I've had both tandem and single axle trailers, and there's very little real difference. My tandem axle trailer absorbed potholes better (makes sense too). The single axle trailers are less expensive on tolls. Neither is a big deal.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
MikeK

I can't speak for a 19erd, but I own a 23rsd (which is tandem axle)and can say that it tows great. One thing to consider is if you are camping and it is rainy or storms is there room to be comfortable? You don't want to be cramped inside. The Gulfstream is an ultra light and easy to tow. I use a WDH w/sway bar which I recommend, it offers better control on the road, especially when you are passed by an 18 wheeler. Either way HAPPY CAMPING
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Zaphod

Thanks everyone. As it happens, we went with a tandem axle trailer, so for me at least, it's moot, but for someone else in sure this discussion will be helpful; I hadn't seen much on the topic online.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
amblttow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Hi. New here. Considering buying the above trailer. We like the layout and pretty much everything about it, but note that it's single axle. My FIL has a big thing about tandem vs single, but I note that it's a pretty light trailer.

What are your experiences with towing this model? Do you hate it? I have a 5.8 litre engine with good towing rating, so I'm not concerned about that aspect for now, but I may downside to a smaller truck like a Tacoma.

I don't know if a single axle is a bad thing or not. I know it's common in smaller trailers.
I've had 8 travel trailers including a 19ft 5th wheel, and only one was a double axle. (not the 5th wheel) All were 21ft or less, and I found little difference. Just completed 3740 Km around the Gaspé, towing a 19 GRU. Many tight turns, steep descents, and one hair raising emergency stop- it towed like a dream- very easily handled bow waves from 18 wheelers, and strong cross winds. Watch your tire pressures, weight and balance (tongue weight) and make sure the trailer is dead nuts level when under tow. I have a WDH but found it was not required.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
jol

Have the same experience as other poster, had 5th wheel with tandem axle, now that is a whole different ball game, but towed 19RBS Vintage Cruiser to Montana and back 3,600 miles and no problem with trucks going other way, winds across Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa not a problem either. We are using a F150 with the 7200 pound GVWR tow package and 10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch.
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Vito

Backing up is much easier with a tandem wheel trailer. I find backing up a single axle smaller trailer to be very challenging with the trailer easily jack-knifing from even small steering inputs. In my case, however, I chose a 19 foot RBS Vintage over the 23 foot models because I did not see much that the 23 footers added in terms of interior utility (I don't need a couch that becomes an additional sleeping area) other than weight, possibly requiring a bigger two vehicle than needed for the 19 footer) and of course, the cost of the trailer.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
amblttow

I've had 8 travel trailers including a 19ft 5th wheel, and only one was a double axle. (not the 5th wheel) All were 21ft or less, and I found little difference. Just completed 3740 Km around the Gaspé, towing a 19 GRU. Many tight turns, steep descents, and one hair raising emergency stop- it towed like a dream- very easily handled bow waves from 18 wheelers, and strong cross winds. Watch your tire pressures, weight and balance (tongue weight) and make sure the trailer is dead nuts level when under tow. I have a WDH but found it was not required.[/quote]

I should add to the above: The present tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 w 5l V8, so power is the least of my concerns. Fuel economy towing with this truck can be as high as 16 l/100 km, and the worst was 21 going into a strong West wind between Kingston and Toronto.

Without the trailer, I can count on as little as 9 l/100 under perfect conditions, but it usually averages 11 on the highway.

Previous vehicles were a 2003 S10, V6, and that towed the 5th wheel, 2006 Colorado I5 (a delightful engine), and a 2008 Canyon with the 4Cyl- really not up to towing much over 2500 lb, no matter what the manufacturer tells you. My only problem at present is the very low road clearance of the GRU. I have a lift kit on order, can hardly wait.

Cheers to all.