Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
babyrattles

Default starting engine and generator while still plugged to 50 amp

we have a 2006 tour master, parked long term in a RV park, it was recommended to me to start the engine and generator for a least 15 minutes per month. Should I disconnect from 50 amp shore power before starting engine and generator?
babyrattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Should not matter! The electrical system will decide which system takes precedence and automatically switch to the proper power source.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: starting engine and generator while still plugged to 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrattles
we have a 2006 tour master, parked long term in a RV park, it was recommended to me to start the engine and generator for a least 15 minutes per month. Should I disconnect from 50 amp shore power before starting engine and generator?
You can start the chassis engine at any time since it has no effect whether you are plugged in shore power or not.

As far as the generator, the transfer switch should switch to generator power from shore power BUT I had an experience where the transfer switch delay module went bad right after I started the generator while plugged into shore power. Was it caused by being plugged in and starting the generator? I don't know for sure. But it cost me $141.00 to repair.

So now I always unplug before starting the generator. I also run the generator UNDER load with both airs on for at least 1/2 hour per month when at a site long term and also run the generator the same every month when the coach is in storage.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote