Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
nuck

Default Issues with 05 Sun Voyager gas models?

I am going to look at a low mileage one. It has 4 slides and the owner says 38' so I am thinking it is the 8388. Is there anything to look for particular to this unit?

Recalls are listed below. Good news is only one of the fridge issues will be there.

Anyone have an opinion on these over all? How do they hold up? Thanks for any responses.

2005 GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER Recall - EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Problem:GULF STREAM IS RECALLING CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AND FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH 1200-SERIES NORCOLD REFRIGERATORS. THE POPULATION OF REFRIGERATORS BEING ADDRESSED CONTAINS EITHER A SENSING ALGORITHM OR THERMAL SWITCH TO SHUT OFF POWER TO THE REFRIGERATOR WHEN HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE DETECTED IN ORDER TO PREVENT A POTENTIAL FIRE. THE RESPONSE TIMES OF THE SENSOR ALGORITHM AND THERMAL SWITCH DEVICES TO STOP POWER ARE NOT SUFFICIENT. Recall Details

2005 GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER Recall - SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Problem:GULF STREAM IS RECALLING 15 MOTORHOMES EQUIPPED WITH AXLES THAT INCLUDE BOSCH ZOPS OR ZOHT PIN SLIDE HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES. WHEN COMBINED WITH OCCASIONAL OR SEASONAL VEHICLE OPERATION MAY EXPERIENCE CALIPERS STICKING IN THE APPLIED POSITION. THIS CAN RESULT IN ABNORMAL HEAT GENERATION AT THE WHEEL END CAUSING BRAKE DRAG.Recall Details

Problem:GULF STREAM IS RECALLING 26,847 MY 2003-2006 RECREATIONAL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION. THE REFRIGERATOR MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.Recall Details

Problem:ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES BUILT WITH DEWALT/POWER GEAR HYDRAULIC HOSES USED FOR THE SLIDE-OUT ROOMS AND LEVELING JACKS, THE CRIMPING PROCESS FOR ATTACHING THE HOSE FITTING TO THE END OF THE HYDRAULIC HOSE WAS PERFORMED IMPROPERLY. Recall Details

2005 GULF STREAM SUN VOYAGER Recall - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Problem:CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES BUILT ON WORKHORSE CHASSIS AND EQUIPPED WITH ACTIA CORPORATE INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NOS. 101 "CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS" AND 105 "HYDRAULIC AND ELECTRIC BRAKE SYSTEMS." IF THE BRAKE FAIL INPUT FALLS BELOW A VOLTAGE OF 1.5V, THE BRAKE
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Sudsy

[QUOTE=nuck;24125]I am going to look at a low mileage one. It has 4 slides and the owner says 38' so I am thinking it is the 8388. Is there anything to look for particular to this unit?

Recalls are listed below. Good news is only one of the fridge issues will be there.

Anyone have an opinion on these over all? How do they hold up? Thanks for any responses.

Hello;

I bought my 2005 Sun Voyager 8379MXG last March. I have repaired or replaced the following and just today put it back in storage and my punch list is done.\

1. Main door lock assy failed when I got it home. Dead bolt had me locked in. Good thing I had the drivers door option. Replaced lock assy.

2. Even though the coach passed Maryland inspection with no problems (8200 original miles) I found the right side windshield wiper arm was broken. The blade was about 1/2 inch off of the glass. I had to purchase two complete arm assemblies and blades. The arms are no longer made.

3. I replaced a failed air compressor and pressure cutoff/actuator to get the air horns working.

4. SOFT SPOTS IN FLOOR. The sub flooring is particle board. I just completed a major repair on the bedroom floor on both sides of the bed where the slide seal is. This coach was parked under a cover with the slides out and the power on. If the floor is soft all over I would not buy it. I have enough problems with this one but have heard of folks that have had the entire sub flooring changed. It was very expensive.

5. Batteries of course.

6. TV and entertainment system. The former owner (first owner) had at least three different sets of TVs in the coach. I found manuals and remotes for them. The units I got are both RCA units and the bedroom one is very poor quality. I will replace it soon I am sure. The Surround Sound system was a mess. I have it partially restored now.

7. Drawer slides and latches. I have replaced several slides and latches. I upgraded the drawer slides on my hallway "Pantry Drawers" with ball bearing type soft close slides. They hold a lot of weight.

I am very happy with my unit. It came with 6 new tires, tune up, full servicing of engine/trans and genset (7kw Onan Marquis upgrade). I have the Workhorse chassis with the Chevy 8.1 V8. Allison 6 speed trans and 24000 GVWR option. This unit is really beautiful. When I tell folks it's a 2005 they don't believe it. I have a very slow leak in the freshwater holding tank that is a little annoying to me. I ran down all of the recalls and my coach is up to date.

Gulf Stream is very helpful and Millie has answered some of my stupid questions and provided a lot of guidance in researching parts and pieces.

Hope this helps. Fell free to PM me with any other questions.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-05 16.20.23.jpg (120.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Hminor00

[QUOTE=Sudsy;24132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I am going to look at a low mileage one. It has 4 slides and the owner says 38' so I am thinking it is the 8388. Is there anything to look for particular to this unit?

Hello;

I bought my 2005 Sun Voyager 8379MXG last March. I have repaired or replaced the following and just today put it back in storage and my punch list is done.\

1. Main door lock assy failed when I got it home. Dead bolt had me locked in. Good thing I had the drivers door option. Replaced lock assy.

2. Even though the coach passed Maryland inspection with no problems (8200 original miles) I found the right side windshield wiper arm was broken. The blade was about 1/2 inch off of the glass. I had to purchase two complete arm assemblies and blades. The arms are no longer made.

3. I replaced a failed air compressor and pressure cutoff/actuator to get the air horns working.

4. SOFT SPOTS IN FLOOR. The sub flooring is particle board. I just completed a major repair on the bedroom floor on both sides of the bed where the slide seal is. This coach was parked under a cover with the slides out and the power on. If the floor is soft all over I would not buy it. I have enough problems with this one but have heard of folks that have had the entire sub flooring changed. It was very expensive.

5. Batteries of course.

6. TV and entertainment system. The former owner (first owner) had at least three different sets of TVs in the coach. I found manuals and remotes for them. The units I got are both RCA units and the bedroom one is very poor quality. I will replace it soon I am sure. The Surround Sound system was a mess. I have it partially restored now.

7. Drawer slides and latches. I have replaced several slides and latches. I upgraded the drawer slides on my hallway "Pantry Drawers" with ball bearing type soft close slides. They hold a lot of weight.

I am very happy with my unit. It came with 6 new tires, tune up, full servicing of engine/trans and genset (7kw Onan Marquis upgrade). I have the Workhorse chassis with the Chevy 8.1 V8. Allison 6 speed trans and 24000 GVWR option. This unit is really beautiful. When I tell folks it's a 2005 they don't believe it. I have a very slow leak in the freshwater holding tank that is a little annoying to me. I ran down all of the recalls and my coach is up to date.

Gulf Stream is very helpful and Millie has answered some of my stupid questions and provided a lot of guidance in researching parts and pieces.

Hope this helps. Fell free to PM me with any other questions.

Sudsy
Do you by chance have a pic of the slide latch that is under the drivers seat for the main slide on drivers side, mine came off the seat and not sure how it goes back on
Hminor00 is offline   Reply With Quote