Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
tevz32

Default Water lines

My water lines are filled with sand plugging the faucet screens. Right now I am in a COE campground using their water connection. I have used the onboard water tank previously. How can I flush the lines for temporary use.
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Colorado350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevz32 View Post
My water lines are filled with sand plugging the faucet screens. Right now I am in a COE campground using their water connection. I have used the onboard water tank previously. How can I flush the lines for temporary use.
WOW, start by removing any filters and the aerators on the end of the faucets. If you’re lucky the water may slowly push the sand out of the lines. If you remove the filters and aerators the water should push through the sand and slowly eat away and the obstruction...after all erosion does work.
If the lines are PEX then you could cut them at several connections and either PUSH the sand out with air or water or after some drying possibly vacuum the sand out. Most hardware stores sell the Pex crimper and the crimp pinch fittings. If you cut the Pex lines rather than removing the rings it’ll allow you to use a straight connection fitting that’s designed to connect two ends together, otherwise you’ll end up with a tubing end that is too short to make the connections.

Assuming the sand came from the Campground’s water supply you may want to install a sediment style filter at their connection before proceeding...

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
Frutza

WOW is right, I think I would try compressed air in the faucet farthest from your tank & pump, open the low point drain s and bypass the water heater. Your not goi g to get a tight fit to the faucet, but that's ok
Old 03-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
RayChez1

Obvious they do not have a filter or else they would not have that problem. A two micron filter will not allow sand to get past it. Need to flush out all your lines and install a good filter system.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevz32 View Post
1) Remove all faucets screen/ restrictors and clean; 2) Install new inline RV HOSE FILTER (in case old has been blown? How old is old filter?); 3) Possible sand/grit came through water heater, but after new filter w/ aerators removed, try running each faucet H&C for 20-30-seconds, then a sample glass to check visually? FLUSHING under pressure should be more than sufficient for sand removal, and much more effective than simple gravity draining; NO PIPE CUTTING REQUIRED.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
ronnie

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Water was fine, then, I let my water heater fill up, from being empty during the winter. Immediately after filling the water heater my facets all stopped up with sand and calcium deposits. Just remove the screens and clean them, but, run the water thru the facets a few minutes before reinstalling the screens.
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
tevz32

Default Water lines

Actually what I did was open the low point drain lines, turn on the “city “ water and let it run for a few minutes to flush the system. Cleaned the faucet screens again and it seems to be fine.
Thanks for the suggestions
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #8
LdyBobbie

Default Water Lines

We wanted to sanitize our water system before our Drive to Alaska, and the kitchen sink would not work. Thought we were going to have to buy a new faucet. We took the aerator and screens off the end, and found they were totally plugged! Once I rinsed out all the parts everything was wonderful!
I just reminded the hubby (after all the conversations I just read here)
ALWAYS use the filter on the main water line in!
LdyBobbie is offline   Reply With Quote