Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
dolidog2000

Default King Dome seeking when parked

How do I stop my King Dome Trac-King from continuously seeking when I am parked & watching TV? Thanks,
Bob form Oklahoma
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
rdlamb

Hi Bob:
If you are watching TV, and you hear the King Dome moving and gyrating, that just means the system is doing what it should.

The Earth is rotating, and the satellites are orbiting. Thus, the "heads" of the King Dome have to constantly move to keep a lock on the satellite.

Ours are going all the time, but the TV stays crystal clear.

If you mean the system goes into "Track, find" and you loose your TV signal, then a call to King Dome is in order.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb
Hi Bob:
If you are watching TV, and you hear the King Dome moving and gyrating, that just means the system is doing what it should.

The Earth is rotating, and the satellites are orbiting. Thus, the "heads" of the King Dome have to constantly move to keep a lock on the satellite.

Ours are going all the time, but the TV stays crystal clear.

If you mean the system goes into "Track, find" and you loose your TV signal, then a call to King Dome is in order.
Sorry, but I can't agree with your post that the Kingdome keeps adjusting as the world turns or satelite moving. I have the Kingdome and once it locks on the satelite it will not move until you drive off to a different location.
But I am confused with the OP because he/she states that they have a Kingdome and a Trac King. I am not sure where the Trac King comes into the picture. I have the Kingdome automatic. All I do is press a button and the dome starts rotating until it locks into the satelite. Sometimes you have to run a switch test, but that is just part of learning how to use the system.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb
...The Earth is rotating, and the satellites are orbiting. Thus, the "heads" of the King Dome have to constantly move to keep a lock on the satellite...
No. These communication satellites are in "geosynchronous" orbit 23,000 miles out. They take 24 hours to orbit the earth, the same as the earth's rotational speed, so they appear to stay at a stationary point with respect to someone on the ground. The tiny tweaks they need to keep them in their "exact" position are well within the pointing range of a ground dish. The dish I mounted to our house eight years ago has never been moved since. The same is true of a dish mounted on an RV as long as the RV doesn't move.

It sound like either your dish's automatic pointing control system isn't working right or perhaps your dish is changing satellites when you change channels...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
RayChez1

That is exactly what I said. That once you lock into the satelite which in my case it is Dish, you don't have to move anything. I have a dish in my house and a Kingdome on the coach and I don't have to be chasing a satelite because it has moved. They rotate at the same speed as the rotation of the earth. If that was not the case you would have to be adjusting the dish on your house all the time. That is not the case. Now the Trac King I don't know anything about that type of system, but I do know about the Kingdome.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Texas TC

I have an in motion Wineguard and it will gyrate after I lock on to the satellite when parked. I simply shut off the in motion switch until I move the coach. It has always stayed locked on no matter how long I have the coach parked. When I had a stationary Wineguard on my last coach, I did not have the gyrating after it locked on to the satellite. However, even on that coach, I turned off the switch to the satellite dish after locking on to the signal.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
David Bott

I have a KVH R5-SL and one of the settings it has is SLEEP. More or less, after it finds the sat and takes time to dial in the best single, after some time, say 3 to 5 min, it more or less goes to sleep and stops moving. If we move the rig or change the channel and it needs to hit another sat, it wakes up, finds, and locks, then sleeps again.

I know not the same system, but maybe a setting something like SLEEP needs to be turned on.

Take care, keep safe.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote