Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
BigRed8100

Default Plumbing and First Camping Trip

Background Info: Bought a 4 year old Canyon Trail Bunkhouse 5th Wheel for our family of 2 young kids and my wife & me.

Adventure #1: Before leaving, I had to sanitize the fresh water tank
Results: Could not fill at first; through assistance from this forum (Timothy), I learned that I need to "burp" the tank by blowing into the vent hole. The air compressor worked good - used a couple of straws afterwards with success.

Adventure #2: Before leaving, I had new tires installed on the 5th wheel. Drove to the trailer shop but the road was tore up for repair. Since it had rained heavily the night before, the road was deep mud which forced me to lock in the 4-wheel drive to make sure I didn't get stuck.
Results: 2 hours to clean the mud off of both truck and trailer

Adventure #2: Wife wanted to take a shower. Husband (me) couldn't figure out how to get hot water heater on until I read the manual which was about the time that wife gave up waiting for me to figure it out.
Results: Wife still likes me

Adventure #3: Toilet/Black Tank line is now plugged at the campsite. Husband (me) tried everthing possible to unplug. After 2 hours of trying, husband prepares the trailer for a quick trip to a dumping station to see if that would help. It didn't.
Results: Went back to the campsite and raised a white flag for the remainder of the weekend which forced wife and kids to use the portable outhouse. Husband used a tree.

Plumbing:Final Resolution: After being splashed on and noticing remnants from past meals (not ours however) flowing up through the toilet, I decided to pound the black tank with my fist from underneath. The sounds of toilet paper and etc. making that beautiful voyage finally down through the pipes into the black tank was pure joy and excitement I could never describe.

Summary: Looking forward to our next camping trip in our Canyon Trail 5th wheel. The wife and kids can only expect better times now after the first learning experience.

Thank you Timothy for your assistance !

Rick & Angie & Kids
BigRed8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Timothy

Rick, enjoyed reading about your adventure!
It only gets better! Glad everything worked out.

Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
mfa

Default Re: Plumbing and First Camping Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed8100
...Results: Wife still likes me
All's right with the world.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Nothing like the first RV/camping trip to bond a marrige even closer.

Your descriptions and details reminded me of the movie RV with Robin Williams.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
jamespipers

You should flush the tank for every ending of your travel so that the piping could not be damage. It is very important that the piping is not going to get more dirt.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
scottb9968

Default 2009 Canyon Trail 25 FRKW First Trip Nightmare

Just bought a brand new 09 Canyon Trail fifth wheel last Saturday. Took it out this weekend............what a disaster. Every plumbing portal leaked, and not a drip, I mean leaked. Kitchen sink supply, shower drain, toilet drain and supply. Air conditioning totally inoperable....microwave carousel broken, shelf under kitchen sink broken....TV antenna inoperable....and the beat goes on. Thought I was buying a quality product???
scottb9968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Timothy

Scott, sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully your dealer should make things right. Sounds like they didn't do a very good PDI with you.
Make sure they check to roof too, if its an 09 model it may have been on their lot for awhile. Once you get all the kinks out you can enjoy camping.
Best of luck.........Tim
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
RayChez1

I think I will stay away from Canyon Trail fifth wheel trailers. WOW!
Where has all the quality control gone on all these manufacturers. I was talking with an RVer that had just bought a Montana and he was complaining about the quality control.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
RayChez1

Rick and Angie. I was really cracking up laughing at your discription of your adventure. When you stuck your arm all the way in, it reminded me of the show called Dirty Jobs. LOL!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
SemperFi0481

Default Shocking!

That's crazy! I had a similiar experience this past weekend.
Thursday afternoon picked up brand new 2011 canyon trail 35flft. Did a walk thru (maybe an hour) with the dealer, signed the invoice and off we went. Friday night got the thing set up at the camp site. Great spot at Stone mtn, nc state park...everything was beautiful. About 10pm, the kids were asleep..fire was going out and starting to get a little chilly, we thought we'd turn in and turn on the furnace. Click....wait....nothin. I'm no HVAC guy, but I was pretty sure we had a problem at that point. I got out the Suburban/ heater manual and started going through the restart steps. That' about when my wife got in the shower and I soon figured out my problem. Grey pvc drain above the heating unit was gaping open and pouring water all over the place....on the furance wiring, and into the bottom of the RV. Brand new camper now...wiring, insulation, wood, now soked. After a long night, wife upset, kids cold, we pack up and took the CT back to dealer where he claimed he'd "make evrything right".
Any ideas about what we should do or look out for...ie additional warranty on electronics, insist on new camper (dreaming I know).

Anyway, thanks for your post. It's nice to know we're not the only ones frustrated.
SemperFi0481 is offline   Reply With Quote