Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
davidj21

Default Furnace Not Functioning - 2007 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8378

I recently replaced the original rooftop AC with one that is a standalone unit and just requires power. All of the controls for the new unit are on the inside panel on the ceiling and it does not interface with the wall thermostat.

I had to cut the 12 or so colored wires to the old rooftop AC unit. I capped all of them, but now the furnace does not come on and I'm getting no response from the thermostat. I'm assuming it's a wiring issue, and if it's an easy fix, would love to handle it myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help guide me?
davidj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
trotline

That is more wires than a thermostat uses.
Best guess is some of the wires have to do with the furnace knowing if the A/C is on.

What brand/model A/C do you have?
trotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
davidj21

I went from the original Dometic to an Advent air unit. The new unit only requires being hardwired to the power and dose not require any of the additional wiring.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
trotline

Apparently some those wires tell the furnace the A/C is not on. (educated guess) I will look at the Advent wiring and see what I can find.
I might switch over too.
What is the model of the one you have?
Old 12-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
trotline

Looking at the Advent ACM150. It is a a/c and heat pump.
There are many installation configurations for wiring. Each one is for a different configuration.
1. Is yours new?
2. Did you have someone install it? Did they ask questions about how you want it configured?
3. Do you have the installation / instruction manual?
4. Do you have any wiring skills?
Old 12-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
davidj21

Yes mine is new, but don't have the one w/the heat pump. Just A/C unit with controls for the unit on the ceiling panel. Sounds like I will probs have to take it to the dealer. I did send email to Dometic in hopes that maybe they can point me in the right direction regarding the wiring.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
davidj21

And, yes mine is new and is the Advent ACM150C - Advent air RV Air conditioner w/air distribution box and start capacitor - 15,000 btu. (no heat pump). I installed it myself - super easy. I did check the installation/instruction manual, but not helpful since the new Advent unit I ordered is controlled by the ceiling panel, not a wall thermostat. If you are considering buying, be sure to call customer service dept first to make sure what you are ordering is compatible with your rig. I bought mine from etrailer.com and they were very good and super helpful After some research, I had to order an extra part with mine, but confirmed it w/customer service first.

Unfortunately, I have no wiring skills or I could probs figure it out myself.