Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
ems4life2

Default 2001 Tour Master Value

I am currently looking at buying a 2001 Gulf Stream Tour Master Model 8406. It has a salvage title with damage currently down the driver side from a steer tire blow out causing it to contact and ride the dividing wire barrier for some time. The damage is to the cargo doors and some other small cosmetic pieces. The tow company then shattered the windshield and that needs to be replaced too! The seller is talking this up as a $300k price tag motorcoach when brand new! He does have all the service records and work done to it since being purchased. Here's the amazing thing, the coach only 13k miles on it and 200 hours on the generator. The seller states repaired this coach is worth $120k-150k, even with a salvage title! This being the Gulf Stream Owner's forum this would be the place to get an honest fair market value range for the Motor coach! I'm wanting the fair market value of the coach as it sits unrepaired if possible. The rest of the coach is close to pristine for the age! I'm estimating between $5k-10k for repairs with me doing some of the work, putting some blood and sweat equity into the repairs. Any information and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You and God Bless! David
ems4life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #2
Chuck v

David,

I sold my 2007 Tour Master T40-C coach with 11K miles a couple of years ago for $40K and it was in very good shape with NO damage.

Yes, these coaches did sell for a few hundred thousand dollars when new, but they will depreciate over the years. No coach that old will sell for as much as that owner claims with a salvaged title. You can go to the NADA guides and enter the coach model and any optional equipment and get a retail value estimate. In 2010, my 2007 unit was valued at between 130K and 160K.

Find an undamaged coach and don't buy a wreak.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Chuck v

value sheet in 2010: NOTE--some of the things shown as "options" were likely standard equipment on this class of coach, so the values shown are probably a bit inflated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg value from NADA in 2010.jpg (111.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 02-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
Chuck v

Here is a quick snapshot from NADA on your model and year of interest...It has been my experience that these guides are always a bit optimistic and it might be difficult ot get that much for a coach that has NO DAMAGE -- a salvaged title will make things much less valuable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old value.jpg (96.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 02-03-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
Bike Dr

Hello im new to this forum,
But I have an 05 Gulfstream Atrium 8410SE and paid waaay less then that if you are willing to travel there are coaches out there in ready to shape! Mi head more miles at 68k but the generator o ly had 400 witch is great 2 heating units work great 2 ac units perfect, now the older coaches are way behind in tech! I did update all entertainment and had to update and rewire to the ehternet and digital optical and hdmi, and we now couldn't be happier with our coach I did upgrade all lighting to led...good luck hope you get the coach you want!!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
swensondc

Check with your insurance company because of the salvage title they may have issues with insuring it.
swensondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
miked

my insurance company will not insure a coach with that kind of title
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:46 PM   #8
Boze33

Hi David
With the diesel he might be super lucky to get $55k on the coach. I have a 2001 GS, model 8407. Coincidentally had a driver's side blow out and the issue is the fuse panel in front of the tire - anything damaged in there? If the tow company broke the windshield they torqued the frame a bit, do check roof lines and modeling along the sidewall seals.
That said...GS built very good coaches back then.

Salvage title, maybe $40k is a ballpark.
Good luck
Bill
Boze33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #9
ghoney1

To find true value, contact your insurance company and ask what they would pay for one if it was totaled. Then back the cost of the amount of damage you figure it has. And believe me it will cost more than you think to repair.
ghoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
Bike Dr

We have an 05 Atrium 8410 SE, and it is worth 78k at this time and our coach is in excellent condition! So I'm pretty sure you can get it much cheaper, but like others mentioned if you are not doing the work to help save you some cost it will be much more then you may think to make the repairs...
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
dougdhc

I would be real careful the left front compartment is full of electronic that in it self would make it real difficult to repair. If you can get it for 20K and you put 20K that is what it is worth. I paid 42K for my 1999 Tourmaster w 450 HP 7 years ago and it had no problems and was stored inside. Since then we have remodeled and updated everything for another 20K
dougdhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #12
Chuck v

A quick tour of the web shows that a salvaged title may reduce the vehicle value by at least 40%--and that is after all repairs are done correctly. Further, insurance companies generally only provide liability insurance on a vehicle with a salvaged title and not full comprehensive -- plus this insurance is more expensive than for a non-salvage vehicle of similar year/model/make. Some 20 to 30% of insurance companies will not write these policies at all...

Since most of us buy RVs for leisure and to "get away" from the world's worries, it seems that starting with a wreak and rebuilding it is maybe a bit ambitious and perhaps counter to the end goal of relaxing and not having to worry about anything...

Just my 2 cents...when I sold my 2007 Tour Master to a family friend it was for just $40K. This was about two years ago and the coach had less than 12K miles on it and was in very good shape with a few upgrades I did when living full time in it for more than a year.

There are good deals out there that don't require rebuilding a wreak...be patient and keep vigilant.

Chuck

Tags
2001 gulfstream, tourmaster