Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #1
Lindy46

Default Leaking ceiling vent fan

2019 VC 19ERD. First trip out and the vent in the bathroom leaked in the rain. I checked the sealant around the vent before leaving and saw no cracks or breaks. Vent has no identifying markings on it. Looked on the outside and it is a Maxx Fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220821_163311.jpg (62.8 KB, 7 views)
Lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
rybern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy46 View Post
2019 VC 19ERD. First trip out and the vent in the bathroom leaked in the rain. I checked the sealant around the vent before leaving and saw no cracks or breaks. Vent has no identifying markings on it. Looked on the outside and it is a Maxx Fan.

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear about your leak. I'm curious to hear what resolves your leak.

Wife and I just purchased a 2022 Vista Cruiser RBS and have had water leak into the bathroom twice in two weeks(both times was during a hard rain). I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the stock roof fan. The fan cover doesn't close up tight and I've ordered a Camco vent cover to try resolve this. All my seals look good. I'll reach out to Gulf Stream on this too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220820_095655.jpg (122.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20220820_094411.jpg (150.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20220820_095306.jpg (59.6 KB, 6 views)
rybern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
Lindy46

I took the fan completely apart and found at least six screw holes in the inner frame which offered a perfect drain to the inside of the camper. Someone had missed when screwing the inside unit up into the roof frame and there was the problem. I assume this was the guy who originally installed the unit at the factory as the original owner was not at all handy and wouldn't have tackled the job himself. I sealed all the holes and should be good to go.
Lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
rybern

Quote:
I took the fan completely apart and found at least six screw holes in the inner frame which offered a perfect drain to the inside of the camper. Someone had missed when screwing the inside unit up into the roof frame and there was the problem. I assume this was the guy who originally installed the unit at the factory as the original owner was not at all handy and wouldn't have tackled the job himself. I sealed all the holes and should be good to go.
Thanks for the response. It does seem odd to me that water would be inside the fan to begin with but hopefully your in good shape now.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
racerpro

Default Roof Fan Leak

This is a easy fix. I installed a Maxx Fan roof vent Cover. Easy install and no leaks. Ebay 64 bucks
racerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #6
BryanL21

Default Vent covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybern View Post
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear about your leak. I'm curious to hear what resolves your leak.

Wife and I just purchased a 2022 Vista Cruiser RBS and have had water leak into the bathroom twice in two weeks(both times was during a hard rain). I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the stock roof fan. The fan cover doesn't close up tight and I've ordered a Camco vent cover to try resolve this. All my seals look good. I'll reach out to Gulf Stream on this too.
I have a 2021 VC 19CSK of which we installed MaxAir vent covers at purchase. Have never had any water intrusion and, in fact, leave the vents open most of the time for ventilation when not running heat or air. They should solve your issue. The stock roof vent covers are pretty thin and may have micro cracks letting water in.
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
proost

For folks with a similar issue, you might also want to check the actual cover because a point of leaking is the attachment of the mechanism to the plastic lid. That is what happened with me. An amazing amount of water can come through there through capillary action I found.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
rybern

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerpro View Post
This is a easy fix. I installed a Maxx Fan roof vent Cover. Easy install and no leaks. Ebay 64 bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL21 View Post
I have a 2021 VC 19CSK of which we installed MaxAir vent covers at purchase. Have never had any water intrusion and, in fact, leave the vents open most of the time for ventilation when not running heat or air. They should solve your issue. The stock roof vent covers are pretty thin and may have micro cracks letting water in.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually purchased a Camco vent cover and installed it on Friday. It seems that it will do the same thing as the Maxx Air vent cover..... hopefully that's the case. I love that we don't have to worry about closing it. I've ordered another one for the front vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proost View Post
For folks with a similar issue, you might also want to check the actual cover because a point of leaking is the attachment of the mechanism to the plastic lid. That is what happened with me. An amazing amount of water can come through there through capillary action I found.
I'm interested in more details about what your talking about. I looked my suspected leaking vent over really well and all I found is that the vent cover doesn't close up tight with the sealing flange.

Here's a video I took of what I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/nvL0uCMdZao
Old 08-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
lamar.wilson68

Quote:
I feel your pain. We have a 2018 19ERD, we are the original owners. Our Frontier pulls it with ease. We like it and look forward to using it. But I don’t kid myself and assume it was assembled by quality conscious workers.

We had the dealer fix leaks and most of the problems that we found during our first few trips:
1) A roof vent above the fridge and
2) a leak around the small window at the sink below the microwave.
3) a leak around the large rear window which resulted in water stains on the wall below the window.
All of these leaks were the result of a failure to seal non used holes in and around the mounting frames.

There were other problems, but they are for a different thread.
lamar.wilson68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #10
SalmonPatty

Default Leaking roof

The roof of our 2018 Vintage Cruiser started leaking & water is coming in across the ceiling seam in the bedroom on the right side. Anyone out there having the same issue of what the cause may be?? Seems like a lot of Gulf Stream owners are complaining of leaking roofs, what gives??
SalmonPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonPatty View Post
The roof of our 2018 Vintage Cruiser started leaking & water is coming in across the ceiling seam in the bedroom on the right side. Anyone out there having the same issue of what the cause may be?? Seems like a lot of Gulf Stream owners are complaining of leaking roofs, what gives??
I would climb up on your roof to look over the quality of your sealant to check for any potential leak spots. Based on how often you move your rig, water can travel the entire length of your roof to find an exit. This happened to us when our plastic shower bubble developed a crack and water traveled all the way back to the bedroom. If your roof is sealed with Dicor around all of the fittings, that stuff has a life approximately 3 years before replacement is recommended..
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:42 PM   #12
rybern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonPatty View Post
Take a look at your vent covers and how they seal when they are closed. Our 2022 looks good at the Dicor seals and all I can think of is ours leaked where the vent cover is supposed to seal against the flange when the cover is closed. You can see in the video I took what I'm talking about. I will say that ours only leaked when we got a VERY heavy rain but this is still not acceptable. In an effort to resolve the issue, I installed a Camco vent cover and ran a bead of silicone on the forward edge to help prevent the water from the rear sloping room from rushing in.

Here's a video I took of what I'm talking about as far as the vent cover not closing up tight:
https://youtu.be/nvL0uCMdZao