Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
scenic8406

Default scenic cruiser model 8406

justAsking any gs owners about model 8406 scenic cruisers that were built.Weve had ours 7 years it was org.sold on west coast in2002.ITs a2001 model on a k2 chassie w/tag and ism500 w allision hd4060 trans.I know theres lots of cruiser people out there;if u know any thing on this model unit it would be helpful.Got great service out of GS until 2008.Spartan motors has always been helpful on questions and tech. data info and specs.MY questions why did they wire tag to lift in rev.gear.Thats great at times but a real pain trying to back our 26ft pace shadow ultra down our drive which is steep and gravel.Drives about 350ft.so you can see the problem.Trailer drags mh backwards and it puts all that trailer weight on that single axle.Im looking at putting a sept.switch on tag fof manuel operation.Any ideas out there would be held in high regard.Thanks GS owners
scenic8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: scenic cruiser model 8406

Never seen a Scenic Cruiser with a tag. But leave it to Gulf Stream they used to pop up a different coach every once in a while. Just like they did with the Constellation. Would like to see a picture of your coach if possible.
How long is your coach to have such a large engine. WOW!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
scenic8406

ray thanks for askin.Gulfstreams claims it 40-6.The lady we got it from said GS told her they thought they only made 8.Seems it was a cross between 8406 tourmaster/scenic cruiser.It has all extra compt.the tourmaster came with.What they did it looks like was left ag hot out/tub shower combo.Ill try to do pic.imIm new to this.Look up tour master8406 with scenic cruiser body.Looks kike the 1st owners ordered it for long stays.Tanks are100frwater/75 blk/gry and150 fuel.With up graded ism/allision4000 trans.They had all tourmaster upgrades added walnut cabs/tile/carper/villa furn.O by the way i hate J coaches/corian.The k2 had typ,ball joint prob.but i made rubber sleaves and wraped them and used marine waterpro0f grease.Been5 years ft.still tight.Just replaced tires org.still good but were being disc.put on G662rsv goodyear.Orginals had 61th miles no cracks or tears.We keep covered/andsprayed with 303/and have plastic cut up bedliner under when were parked.Thanks Ill work on pic somehow.Might have to send by cell phone.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Here's a picture of a 2002 Scenic Cruiser 8402 w/tag axles.

Does yours look anything like this? Look forward to you posting a picture of yours.

Also I found an archived Scenic Cruiser Literture that I thought you might like to see and possibly keep a copy in your PC for future reference, although it does not have the specs for your
tag axle coach it does show all the floorplans.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/litarchi ... ruiser.pdf

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
RayChez1

Ron that is a nice paint job. Yes mine looks just like yours except mine is not as long as yours. I do not have a tag axle on mine, but it does have the Neway axles on the rear which I really like. But I am really impressed with your coach and the size of that engine is something. It probably flies with that much power on a forty foot coach.

I do believe that in 2002 the Scenic Cruiser was the flagship of the Gulf Stream coaches. It had taken over from TourMaster. Then I believe that in 2006 they decided to drop the Scenic Cruiser and they went back to the TourMaster.

Real nice! That is one thing that I have not learned on this forum is how to post pictures. I would love to post a picture of my coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
03heritagerider

Ray, to add a photo:

1 Scroll down below the box in which you type your post or reply
2 Click Upload attachment
3 Click below that on Choose File
4 Click on a photo from your computer files or memory stick (If you double click on the photo, skip step 5)
5 Click Open
6 The title of the photo you have selected will now appear in the box next to where you clicked on Choose File
7 To the right of the title of the photo you selected, click on Add the file
8 Scroll down again and click on Place inline The photo's info will then be placed into the text box and look like this...
(attachment=0]name of photo.jpg[/attachment)
9 Click preview and you should see the photo
You can move the photo by highlighting the photo's info string and dragging it to the desired placement.

Let me know if this works for you.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
RayChez1

Default 2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser

Thanks 03Heritagerider I will try to post a picture of my coach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GulfStream Rev.jpg (30.7 KB, 4201 views)
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
RayChez1

I finally learned how to post a picture.

Thanks again 03 Heritagerider.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
03heritagerider

Glad I could help. Nice looking ride!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Ron that is a nice paint job. Yes mine looks just like yours except mine is not as long as yours. I do not have a tag axle on mine, but it does have the Neway axles on the rear which I really like. But I am really impressed with your coach and the size of that engine is something. It probably flies with that much power on a forty foot coach.

I do believe that in 2002 the Scenic Cruiser was the flagship of the Gulf Stream coaches. It had taken over from TourMaster. Then I believe that in 2006 they decided to drop the Scenic Cruiser and they went back to the TourMaster.

Real nice! That is one thing that I have not learned on this forum is how to post pictures. I would love to post a picture of my coach.

Ray, That isn't a picture of my coach, I don't have a Scenic Cruiser. I just located a picture of Scenic Cruiser on a website and posted it here so that members could see a picture of the tag axle Scenic Cruiser.

Below is a couple pictures of our motorhome.

Ron
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
RayChez1

OH OK Ron. I thought you had bought that Scenic Cruiser with the tag axle. That is quit a nice looking coach. I never knew they had manufactured any Scenic Cruisers with tag axles with such a big engine. Now I know they Gulf Stream was manufacturing a 45' coach called a Constellation right before the bottom dropped on the economy. They had to stop the mechanized division because of the lack of sales on class A and C. Then that law suit from the Katrina trailers kicked them in the rear also. So I do not know if they will ever manufacture any mechanized coaches.

Mine is the model 8404, they call it a 38' but it actually is longer then that. They are always off on the length vs the model.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
RayChez1

I am sure that there could be a way to change the wiring to lift and lower the tag axles on your coach. I know that the reason why tags are designed to lift under certain situations is to prevent the tag tires from wearing out prematurely. Some will lift every time you make a sharp turn. I have not heard of anybody changing that process, but I am sure it can be done to operate manually.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
scenic8406

Thanks ray.I just got a air bag/tag power locations;with wirein colors from each location.They couldnt help with wirin;so it will be hit and miss until i get correct connections .Looks like Ive got to add a relay to seperate air bags on jack panels.Air dumps wired to all bag/tag lift bags to dump when levelin.Great something new'Im up for something new if it solves a problem and gives me what i need.Looks like it will be easier to change out the old 1200 refer first;at least thats all in door work.Going to replace it with a whirlpool23cu ft.Looks like it will fit in ft. pass. window.Gota take doors off first/then remove window.Did one last spring on a tiffen/It went well after i had lowes people leave.I tried to tell the owner it wouldnt go up ft. door.Lowes people said it would;guess who was wrong.I had to go over to the husbands wife and tell her they were going to destroy the ft area.Yep they tore door/dash/ft seat.Owners ate that ;they signed a waiver.O well i popped big drivers window out had it in coach in1hr with window back in place.They finished it from there.Anyway that whirlpool should fit in urs.Ill let u know when i do it.Only other thing to add is a 1000w pure sine inverter/wfuses;cables.Inverter with parts ran me about275.refer got on sale with double disc.net costs w5year warr.1100.Wish me luck.Again thanks for ur time.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
RayChez1

You got a good deal on the invertor for sure. After you get the frig installed post some pic's. I am sure there are several that will be following your mod's.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
RayChez1

GSstream40, How come you have the picture of your coach in two parts. Was it too big to get it in one snap shot? It looks like a nice coach, but I would like to see it complete. I am not sure if I have ever seen a Yellowstone before.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
GSstream40, How come you have the picture of your coach in two parts. Was it too big to get it in one snap shot? It looks like a nice coach, but I would like to see it complete. I am not sure if I have ever seen a Yellowstone before.
Not quite sure what you are talking about, there are two pictures posted, one of the passenger side and the other shows the front and drivers side of the coach.
Nope it is not to long, just 41' actual length. The pictures show it complete in each one.

This is the second Yellowstone diesel we have owned. The first was a 36' 2003 model w/ 2 slides that we purchased in August 2002. Our current one is a 40' 2004 model 8408 w/ 4 slides that we
purchased at the Back Home Rally in 2004.

Ron
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
03heritagerider

Ray,

The photos were uploaded from the Photobucket picture sharing website. In the post, only a part of the photos are visible. However, if you click on the photo, it will re-direct you to the Photobucket site where the entire picture is viewable.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #18
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03heritagerider
Ray,

The photos were uploaded from the Photobucket picture sharing website. In the post, only a part of the photos are visible. However, if you click on the photo, it will re-direct you to the Photobucket site where the entire picture is viewable.
I didn't know that they were showin up like that when viewed on the forum. On my laptop, I am seeing the whole picture(s). I wonder why?

Ron
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #19
RayChez1

OK! now I can see the complete picture of the coach. Yea! that is a nice coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic8406
Thanks ray.I just got a air bag/tag power locations;with wirein colors from each location.They couldnt help with wirin;so it will be hit and miss until i get correct connections .Looks like Ive got to add a relay to seperate air bags on jack panels.Air dumps wired to all bag/tag lift bags to dump when levelin.Great something new'Im up for something new if it solves a problem and gives me what i need.Looks like it will be easier to change out the old 1200 refer first;at least thats all in door work.Going to replace it with a whirlpool23cu ft.Looks like it will fit in ft. pass. window.Gota take doors off first/then remove window.Did one last spring on a tiffen/It went well after i had lowes people leave.I tried to tell the owner it wouldnt go up ft. door.Lowes people said it would;guess who was wrong.I had to go over to the husbands wife and tell her they were going to destroy the ft area.Yep they tore door/dash/ft seat.Owners ate that ;they signed a waiver.O well i popped big drivers window out had it in coach in1hr with window back in place.They finished it from there.Anyway that whirlpool should fit in urs.Ill let u know when i do it.Only other thing to add is a 1000w pure sine inverter/wfuses;cables.Inverter with parts ran me about275.refer got on sale with double disc.net costs w5year warr.1100.Wish me luck.Again thanks for ur time.
I put a Samsung RF197 in mine just about a month ago. They took out one of the windows in the main slide to put it in The Samsung runs well on the Freedom 458 inverter, so I didn't add a pure sine wave. Here is a pic
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote