Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
davidj21

Default 2007 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8378 Furnace Problem

I recently replaced the original rooftop AC with one that is a standalone unit and just requires power. All of the controls for the new unit are on the inside panel on the ceiling and it does not interface with the wall thermostat.

I had to cut the 12 or so colored wires to the old rooftop AC unit. I capped all of them, but now the furnace does not come on and I'm getting no response from the thermostat. I'm assuming it's a wiring issue, and if it's an easy fix, would love to handle it myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help guide me?
davidj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Harold and Mona

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj21 View Post
I recently replaced the original rooftop AC with one that is a standalone unit and just requires power. All of the controls for the new unit are on the inside panel on the ceiling and it does not interface with the wall thermostat.

I had to cut the 12 or so colored wires to the old rooftop AC unit. I capped all of them, but now the furnace does not come on and I'm getting no response from the thermostat. I'm assuming it's a wiring issue, and if it's an easy fix, would love to handle it myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help guide me?
Yes I have, all them wires you cut come from a little brain box, that you might have taken out, they have to be reconnected to that box and tuck it back up somewhere with your new air conditioner
Harold and Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
davidj21

I discarded the old ac unit. Was the brain box in that unit? The new ac unit does not require any wiring except for power.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
ChrisW

You probably be best to take it to your rv dealer because you may have some more problems. When the thermostat calls for heat it activates the relay on the ac circuit board and then to the furnace. Also possibly the thermostat you have is the old analog and the new ac unit is digital circuit board which would require a new digital thermostat kit.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #5
davidj21

Yah, was trying to avoid that because I feel like the RV dealers in my area basically charge whatever they want especially based on the type of RV you own. Have had bad experiences with them. Thanks for your help though
Old 12-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
ChrisW

What ac unit did you install? I would think it have the capabilities for a control from the thermostat.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
davidj21

No, not that I'm aware of. It has two knobs on the ceiling control panel - one for adjusting how cold the air is and then the fan adjustment. It is an Advent ACM150C - Advent air RV Air conditioner w/air distribution box and start capacitor - 15,000 btu. (no heat pump)
Old 12-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
Harold and Mona

yes the brain box was in the old unit it's about 8 inches square it has a bunch of wires that you cut and also a plug in that is like a telephone cord, I did the same thing but I found the box before I threw it out. If your's is gone already you might be able to get one from a wrecker
Harold and Mona is offline   Reply With Quote