Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Westwood

Default 5230 Switch Purpose

Hello,
I am a fairly new owner of a 2002 BT Cruiser 5230. I am wondering if anyone is able to explain the function of the two switches located below the kitchen sink near the LP Gas detector? One is labeled "emerg start", and the other is an "on off switch". Just wanting to confirm their purpose and use!
Thanks for any help.
Mark
20200611_163326_resized.jpg
Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
hossross

The emergency start switch is to allow you to start the vehicle engine using the coach batteries if for some reason the vehicle battery is too weak.

The rotary switch is a main disconnect of the coach batteries from the "house"
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Westwood

Thank you for the reply!

When would I turn the rotary switch to "off"? Is this used when plugged into shore power, or is it more for longer term storage to save the coach battery?

My coach battery recently discharged while parked and I think the LP detector might be the culprit. I am not sure how to disconnect power to it other than disconnecting the battery. Hoping maybe this rotary switch is the answer!
Old 11-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Thank you for the reply!

When would I turn the rotary switch to "off"? Is this used when plugged into shore power, or is it more for longer term storage to save the coach battery?

My coach battery recently discharged while parked and I think the LP detector might be the culprit. I am not sure how to disconnect power to it other than disconnecting the battery. Hoping maybe this rotary switch is the answer!
Yes, this switch would be your answer. When "OFF", it disconnects the 12 volt power to the "house", as hossross said. It is wired to the 12 volt side of the electrical panel. You would want to turn the switch OFF when you are storing the motorhome and you will not be plugged into shore power or not charging the batteries in any way regularly.

The 12 volt power is mapped like this: House battery(s) --> big circuit breaker outside under the motorhome --> Battery disconnect/"Salesman" switch --> 12 volt electrical panel fuse block --> fuse for individual circuits --> circuit items (like water pump or propane detector, etc.).

House batteries can be charged in multiple ways: 1) plugging into shore power so the power converter will give charge. 2) running your generator so the the power converter will give charge. 3) running the chassis engine so that the alternator will give charge. 4) connect an external charging device directly to the battery terminals to give charge, such as an electrical battery charger or a solar charging set up.

Welcome to the adventure!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
Westwood

This is excellent information, thank you Leisure Time Larry and hossross!

The more I find out about this motorhome, the more I like it! I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, and enjoy repairs and enhancements! I actually even enjoyed winterizing it

Wondering, in your opinion(s), is it better to remove the coach battery over winter and trickle charge to maintain it, or just plug into shore power for a few hours every month, flip that master switch to "on", and maintain the battery that way?

Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #6
hossross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
This is excellent information, thank you Leisure Time Larry and hossross!

The more I find out about this motorhome, the more I like it! I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, and enjoy repairs and enhancements! I actually even enjoyed winterizing it

Wondering, in your opinion(s), is it better to remove the coach battery over winter and trickle charge to maintain it, or just plug into shore power for a few hours every month, flip that master switch to "on", and maintain the battery that way?

Thanks again!
I think the trickle charge is best, for sure on automotive batts, Not sure if deep cycle ( which your house batts should be) care. I would google that question for deep cycle batts. Obviously if you can hook up shore power easily then that easier. Which begs the question can you leave shore power continuously hooked up? If you have a smart converter, it will have a trickle charge mode built in.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
hossross

Not sure how you determined the LP indicator was the problem, but if there is a fuse labled LP gauge, pull the fuse and measure the amps across the fuse recepticle contacts. If more than .25 amps then it could be the drain, in the mean time you can pull that fuse and it should stop the drain also alt to killing the house completely.

Also you should re ask Larry if the coach batts will charge with the rotarty batt disconnect switch is "off".. I think the converter by passes that but I don't know. Also I'm not sure if the BT Cruisers have the master batt switch. I haven't seen that on mine, but will take a closer look in batt compartment. Do you have 2 batts in the coach battery compartment? It is good your a handy person, as even the placement of things in each model varies, so logic and generalization of the info important.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Mark,

It may be worthwhile to check to see what converter is in your 5230. Mine has a Progressive Dynamics Iteli Power 9100 series model, which allowed me to install a Charge Wizard pendant. For $25, I was able to turn my converter into a smart charger. Now I just leave my motorhome plugged into shore power all of the time when in storage.

Otherwise, I think either of your suggested options are fine.

To answer hossross, I do believe that the converter has its own connection to the battery(s) and will charge regardless of what position the OFF/ON switch is in.

Last observation, that LP detector in the photo looks original. They have a limited lifespan of about 7 years. They will just start going off randomly to let you know it is for sure time. I recommend planning to change it soon to avoid the terrible audible reminder which will often be at the worst time.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:45 PM   #9
Westwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
Not sure how you determined the LP indicator was the problem, but if there is a fuse labled LP gauge, pull the fuse and measure the amps across the fuse recepticle contacts. If more than .25 amps then it could be the drain, in the mean time you can pull that fuse and it should stop the drain also alt to killing the house completely.
Unfortunately there isn't a fuse labelled LP. In fact it's hard to tell what most of the fuses say! I did pull a couple, but did not find the correct one. I figured it would be a low amp fuse, however it may be on a shared circuit. I will definitely try to verify whether it is the culprit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200615_170915.jpg (206.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
Westwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
Hi Mark,

It may be worthwhile to check to see what converter is in your 5230. Mine has a Progressive Dynamics Iteli Power 9100 series model, which allowed me to install a Charge Wizard pendant. For $25, I was able to turn my converter into a smart charger. Now I just leave my motorhome plugged into shore power all of the time when in storage.

Otherwise, I think either of your suggested options are fine.

To answer hossross, I do believe that the converter has its own connection to the battery(s) and will charge regardless of what position the OFF/ON switch is in.

Last observation, that LP detector in the photo looks original. They have a limited lifespan of about 7 years. They will just start going off randomly to let you know it is for sure time. I recommend planning to change it soon to avoid the terrible audible reminder which will often be at the worst time.
Thanks for the pointer on the LP detector. I recently read about the limited lifespan and will definitely pick up a new one for next season!

My converter is a Parallax model 7345. Picture in my previous post. I will do a little research and see what it is capable of! At this point I am leaning towards removing the coach battery (1x 12v) for winter and maintaining it on the bench! It is a NAPA 27RVS so is a deep cycle!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #11
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

EMERGENCY START CAN ALSO (More commonly be used to start GENERATOR to recharge low COACH BATTERIES when you wake up in Cold w/ Furnace ON and LPG alarm on, and too low to crank GEN
Old 11-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Westwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
EMERGENCY START CAN ALSO (More commonly be used to start GENERATOR to recharge low COACH BATTERIES when you wake up in Cold w/ Furnace ON and LPG alarm on, and too low to crank GEN
This makes a lot of sense, thank you! During our last trip of the year it was quite cold, and I didn't want to run the furnace all night for fear that the battery would run out. Nice to know I could have still started the generator!

Tags
5230 emerg switch