Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
jmj437

Default Charging Battery

Fellow Rver's

I have a 2004 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (Model 5270) and I have a question about leaving the house battery on "charging" all the time. Is this necessary to leave it charging all the time. I plug into regular house juice and leave the RV cable hooked up to the house. Now, my question is, Does the RV battery continue to charge and when it gets completely charged does it shut off automaticly or does it just continue to charge until it charges itself to death?

I do not turn on the floor switch to charge the battery. I was told by GS that this is not neccessary to turn on the switch while charging the house battery.

When I do turn on the floor switch with external cable disconnected to check the battery charge, the system indicator lite is usually not green even if I leave it on for a day or two. Is this a problem or normal? I can start the generator without any problem or plug back into external power and the lite goes to green.. Once I do start the generator the indicator lite go to green also.

Can anyone inform me of this and how it is suppose to work and if it stop charging the house RV battery when it become completely charged. I would think there is some type of switch or relay to stop batteries from charging it once it is completely charged

Thanks in advance
Happy Rving

JMJ
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Conquest102

Default Re: Charging Battery

The charger should cylce that is full charge (13.8-14.2) then cycle to float (13.2-13.4) if its a smart charger. You can test it with a volt meter both plugged up and unplugged to get the reading. You will still have to monitor the water levels in the battery at least once a month. It is actually better to leave it plugged up to keep the battery fully charged when not in use. While you are testing check the starting bat to see if it is being charged some coaches don't charge the engine bat. If not you might want to look into a small float charger or a little solar panel you plug into cigarette lighter. Just make sure the socket get its power from the engine bat and not the coach bat. Mine doesn't charge the engine bat so I have a solar panel in the cab over window to keep it fully charged.