Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
tarheel

Default Jack Knife Couch Removal

I'm thinking of removing my Jack knife couch and replacing it with two swivel recliners in my 07 Tourmaster when we arrive in Florida next month. Has anyone removed theirs and if so, did you run into any issues with the flooring, carpet, etc. underneath?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Jack Knife Couch Removal

We don't have a jack-knife, we have a pull out sofa/queen bed. However, here is what I can tell you from looking underneath the sofa bed and working on our recliner behind the passenger's seat. Also, not knowing your floor plan, this is just general info and not specific to your rig.

Our sofa is on the drivers side and on a slide-out. The underside of the slide-out has a floor that covers access to where the sofa is bolted to the floor. If you know how to get in there to attach nuts to the bolts that go through the recliner mounts, then you're better than me.

If your sofa is not on a slide, then it may be bolted through the floor and visible from underneath. In our rig, if it wasn't on the slide-out it would be above the basement compartments and I'm not sure if the bolts would be visible from underneath.

If any of the bolts for the sofa go through to the underside of the rig that is exposed to the outside, then the ends with the nuts are probably buried under the undercoating. You'll then have to dig the nuts out from under the undercoating.

The carpeting under our sofa bed is like new. Depending on the pile of the carpet and the placement of your recliners, you may not be able to see the holes in the carpet.

When installing the recliners, if your anchors don't come through the floor to a reachable position, I suppose you can use a jack nut or toggle bolt. I'm just not sure they would be strong enough to hold after repeated use. Also, without being bolted through the floor, I would be reluctant to use these seats when traveling, as the seat belts are bolted to the pedestal base. If the anchors extend through to the outside, be sure to clear away the undercoating around the holes to get a tight fit. Then you can spray some undercoating afterward.

When we ordered our rig, we requested a recliner in place of the swivel chair and ottoman. After a couple of years, the recliner began to rock on it's pedestal. We assume the chair was removed and the recliner installed after the undercoating. The nuts on the recliner anchor bolts were about an inch away from the floor with the undercoating sandwiched in-between. Repeated use caused the bolts and nuts to wear away the undercoating around them and the bolts were no longer tight enough to hold the recliner in place. I had to get under the wheel well and chip away the undercoating to get the nuts and washers to seat against the underside of the floor.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
tarheel

Thanks 03heritagerider, I also have a queen pullout on the slide, but my jack knife is on the passenger side facing the pullout. I haven't looked at the underside of the floor to determine how everything is fastened. I also didn't realize that there could be bolts in the wheel well. I'll check all of that out before I make my decision. It appears that the carpeting underneath is alright, but I guess it could have some cuts to deal with as a result of bolts, etc.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
rescue7

I took my jack Knife out in my 07 Tourmaster. It was haeld in with two brackets screwed into the floor. The seat belts are bolted in different places along the wall. they will not work for a chair. I took out all but the set by the co pilot seat. that one the bolt when into the wheel wheel and is out side all covered with insulation material and dirt. Was afraid I would not be able to get the nut off.
We put in one recliner and a small flectric fireplace behind the copilot seat.

Don
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
tarheel

Don-
Was the couch difficult to get through the door? I've also been thinking about putting in a computer desk behind the passenger seat and only one swivel recliner. Sounds like either will work. Did you fasten down your recliner? I thought the seat belt might hold it down during travel if it was free standing.

Dick
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
rescue7

Just lay the couch out flat like you are going to sleep on it and put copilot seat all the way back. Two people to get it throught the door. Havent tied the chair down. It doesnt move around and I figure if we are in a big enough accident to have it move we are in more trouble than I want to be in. You just cant have any one sit in it while moving. Works for us as its only the two of us traveling.

Don
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Chuck v

Dick,

Like Don, I have a 2007 TourMaster 40-C floor plan that had the jack knife couch immediately behind the co-pilot seat. When I took mine out, I disassembled it first to make it easy to carry -- the back comes off the frame, the seat cushion comes off the two end arm/frame pieces, and as you have probably learned already that the front lower trim just lifts straight up off the frame when the seat cushion is lifted prior to any dis assembly needing tools. All of these individual parts are quite light, and I have them wrapped in plastic and in the garage loft should I ever need them again.

In place of the jack knife couch we now have a recliner and a small table. Having the couch out allows the co-pilot chair to turn enough to face into the living area when we setup at a destination. We really enjoy the extra window space on that side of the coach that was exposed...the seat back of the couch blocked the lower portion when it was there. Also, the recliner can now be positioned to comfortably view the upgraded Samsung true HD TV that we put up in the front when we replaced the original equipment Jensen that was pretty marginal.

Another choice would have been to replace the jack knife couch with a reclining loveseat but we went the more 'open' route, and with just the two of us we did not need to maximize the number of seat belt positions during travel.

As Don said, the seat belts are not part of the sofa mounting so you need to decide if you want to leave them there should you want to reverse the changes at some time in the future. You cannot ride in the single recliners under way -- if you want that feature, you need to mount another co-pilot chair or similar which limits comfort as compared to a real recliner. The short-lived mid-engined coaches (by Newmar, as I recall) had such a feature for a brief time...

My recliner also does not move around during motion as Don observed...but to keep it from coming forward in case of an accident, we use the rear set of original seat belts to secure the base. Overly cautious perhaps, but it keeps the co-pilot from fretting about that so she can concentrate on my driving...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
tarheel

Chuck and Don-
Thanks for the information. Sounds like it's not going to be a difficult job afterall. My only other issue is what to do with the couch. Planning to make the change while in Florida for the winter and not sure I'll have room for the couch on return trip. I would take it out before going, but in case we change our mind once there and see the choices, I wouldn't want to not have it. I guess if it comes apart totally, I can find room for it on the return trip.

Dick
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Chuck v

Dick,

The disassembled couch would fit in my MDX toad with the second and third row seats folded down...should fit in the bed of your truck if you have a shell on it. Of course, it is rare that any of our toads are empty when we travel...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
tarheel

Chuck-
I thought about the truck, but it unfortunately goes down and back loaded with a golf cart and a couple other things. However, I can probably find a little space on it for the return trip in the spring.

Dick
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
trickto322

We took the couch out of our coach. When we first bought the coach we had the co-pilot side couch removed and had them put in a recliner and a table. Recently we took the other couch out and replaced it with two more recliners. When we travel we use the set belts that were under the couch to keep the chairs still, just wrap the belt around each chair and snap it.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
Xumerlove

Pretty old post but I am looking for cushions from Melbourne, Dick you there? if so, do you still have the cushions?