Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
jcwilde1

Default Purchased a new 2016 Vista 19ERD

We just purchased a 2016 Vista 19ERD and pick it up in two days and our first big trip is in four weeks!

Since it has been such a warm February, I was thinking about de-winterizing it early. Does anyone if it would be an issue to simply drain it before a hard-freeze and turn the heat on inside. I don't expect anything sub-zero or anything, but in the 20's at night in march wouldn't be too uncommon and I would want to avoid re-winterizing after

Any tips and tricks for a new Vista owner would be appreciated too.
jcwilde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
lulundb

Default Re: Purchased a new 2016 Vista 19ERD

I am not sure about the de winter the trailer just yet we live in a area where it suddenly decides to it changes it
mind and dumps snow and a hard freeze. I would make sure to do a shake down camp before the first trip. Something always
needs to be tinkered with on a new trailer no matter what brand and it is more easy fix at home than out on the road.
Have fun, we love our Visa/Visita
lulundb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
dwollin

Congrats on the 19ERD! I bought my 19ERD last August. Wait on de-winterizing it until you take your trip. I pull mine with a Jeep Liberty with minimal issues using a weight distribution hitch which really helps. Do try using the camper at home first, or go to a near by resort first time (like said above), in case of issues. My water pump failed on mine the 1st time out, but I had a city water supply at the campground, so no issues really. It was also missing a stop plug\valve, so at first water just leaked out and wouldn't fill the holding tank. $2.00 part was missing on 2 of the lines.
I REALLY like the 19 footer, as it maneuvers and pulls very nice. I can park it anywhere, where as a 23 footer is just getting too big. The table in the rear, with windows on 3 sides is fantastic! Much better than just a side-window! And the ability to close off the bedroom (and bathroom) from the kitchen and dining table area is great!. We bough an extra 2" foam pad, to put over the mattress for better sleeping. The AC works well, but can be loud, so we used it sparingly and that was fine (if needed at all). Great heater too! Don't pull it with water in the fresh water tank, but fill it when you get to the campground or near it. Great LED lights inside and out and the stereo\sound system is super.
We did not cover our camper for the winter (Minnesota), so anxious to see how the exterior looks after it melts and if it cleans up nice! Maybe we need one next year, but heard horror stories of "trapped" moisture kept inside the camper causing problems.
Looking forward to taking some long trips this year, for a few weeks each time! Time to see America
dwollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
jcwilde1

Thanks for the advice, we are dewinterizing it on Wed and going on our first nearby trip this weekend. We will hopefully be doing our first week long outing at the end of the month which should give us time to get the kinks out.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
jcwilde1

Went to pick up the RV and during the walk-through there was a host of things wrong with it including: Water pump sounded like a jackhammer, trim was pealing off table, the shower leaked from behind the knobs onto the floor, not all the buttons on the stereo lit up and a couple other small things. The dealership is switching me to another one that is the same layout but I have to say the whole thing has me a little concerned about GS quality.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Gpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwilde1 View Post
Went to pick up the RV and during the walk-through there was a host of things wrong with it including: Water pump sounded like a jackhammer, trim was pealing off table, the shower leaked from behind the knobs onto the floor, not all the buttons on the stereo lit up and a couple other small things. The dealership is switching me to another one that is the same layout but I have to say the whole thing has me a little concerned about GS quality.
Do you have an update? I'm considering purchasing the Vista 19ERD. Also, how well does it tow with your TV? I'm guessing pretty good since dwollin pulls with Jeep Liberty? I'll be towing with a 16' Tacoma with Tow package.
Gpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote