Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
sharkharleyrider

Default Remove rear wheel simulator

Has anybody ever had the misfortune where you had to remove one of your rear wheels? What is the trick to taking off the trim ring and lug nut covers? I'm stumped!!
sharkharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
swensondc

There is a notch on 2 of the lug nuts as shown in this video.
https://youtu.be/v-QYQl9cV1M
swensondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Storm Bruin

Yes, I have. If yours are like mine, they are a little different than the youtube video.

Mine, the lug nut goes on the wheel stud, holding the wheel. A adapter goes on the end of 2 wheel studs 180° from each other. The simulator goes over those adapters and is held on by jam nuts and then a decorative covet goes over the jam nut. There is a specialty tool used to pull the decorative covers off of the jam nuts. Even with 18 years in the tire business, I could not pull those covers off of the jam nuts. I had to buy a metric socket, and luckily the last installer didn't over tighten the jam nuts. When I get home from work, I can get you the size on that socket. I had to order it on Amazon.
Storm Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
reality124

The trim is just for show so use a curved flat tool about a 1/2” wide and flat and gently go around the trim and pry off. Use a rubber mallet to re-attach to rim. Make sure you line up the air valve with the opening on the trim. As far as the jam nuts, they should come off easy unless they were over tightened.
reality124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Storm Bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkharleyrider View Post
Has anybody ever had the misfortune where you had to remove one of your rear wheels? What is the trick to taking off the trim ring and lug nut covers? I'm stumped!!
You are getting conflicting answers because there are more than one type of wheel simmulator. It might help if you told us what chassis your Gulf Stream is built on.

Mine is a C5500 Chevrolet chassis.

Did you ever figure it out? I wasn't able to pull the covers off of my jamb nuts so I had to use a 39mm socket to remove the jamb nuts AND jamb nut covers together.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
Storm Bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality124 View Post
The trim is just for show so use a curved flat tool about a 1/2” wide and flat and gently go around the trim and pry off. Use a rubber mallet to re-attach to rim. Make sure you line up the air valve with the opening on the trim. As far as the jam nuts, they should come off easy unless they were over tightened.
There are multiple styles of wheel simmulators, but I've never seen one with jamb nuts that required prying off or a mallet to reattach.