Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
univmd

Default 08 Tourmaster: furnace & heatpump

Newbie here: Have not had a chance to play with the furnace or the heatpump. I "think" I have two furnaces (first return under the stove, second return in the walk-in closet), and three roof heatpumps?

When winter comes around, how do I turn them on and operate? Do I operate all 5 units independently from the one thermostat that I use to run the three roof airconditioners?

Thank you for all your help in previous posts! With warm regards, James
Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
GO BLUE

The roof heatpumps as you call them operate off the a/c thermostat and will bring the temp up in cool climates but the heaters (lower vents) work off of propane and will burn you out of the bus if you let it....jim k
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
David Bott

Both are operated view the thermostat like you have at home. COOL & HEAT (and off) selector. You then can change the MODE of the COOL for different settings as well as GAS or ELECTRIC for heat. (If you do not have heat pumps, only GAS will show.) Note...I do not have heat pumps in mine, but was told that they really just kind of keep the chill out, they will not handle cold cold weather and you would want to use the GAS furnaces.

James...Based on some of your questions posted, you really should get yourself to Gulf Stream or to your dealer to give you a run though on the operation of your coach. You really should know where everything is and what differnt things do and how things work. I say this for one day you may need help and can not access this site. LOL

Take care, keep safe, safe travels.

(BTW...To anyone reading, I will be at GS this Sunday through at least Wed.)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
univmd

Default Observations

Used heat pumps and furnace for the first time this past weekend. Just want to report my observations

Zone 1 Gas: furnace comes on
Zone 1 Electric: furnace and heat pump both come on, heat pump cool air, thermostat stuck at 60, furnace continues to blow warm air without turning off*

Zone 2 Electric: heat pump comes on, warm air

Zone 3 Gas: furnace comes on
Zone 3 Electric: furnace and heat pump both come on, later only heat pump comes on, warm air

*my guess is that the Zone 1 furnace blows warm air into Zone 2, but its thermostat is located in Zone 1. Zone 1 is left cold, heat pump not strong enough to warm Zone 1, thus thermostat stuck at 60 degrees.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
David Bott

I do not have heat pumps as you may know. Here is a GUESS on it...Seeing heat pumps are used normally for maintaining heat and not as the main heat, that is why the gas heaters came on. Once it gets to X temp, it maybe uses the heat pumps to try to keep that temp.

Again, I am guessing but really sounds like it could be a good guess. Then again...Maybe I am thinking these things are smarter than they are. LOL

I love trying to figure these things out...even more so when their are no manuals.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
GO BLUE

That heat pump or roof heater or electric heater will not warm past 60 it just takes the chill out....the propane furnace will roast you jim k
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
RayChez1

Default Heat pump and Furnace

Both the heat pumps and the furnace operate off the same thermstat. If you want the furnace you go to mode and choose furnace set the temperture you want and it will work just like at home. Keeps the coach at the temperture you chose.
Now if you want the heat pumps then you select by zones. The one in the bedroom is zone 1, so you select zone 1 and then go to mode and select heat pump. You set the temperture you want and it will hold that temperture. Same goes for the other two heat pumps, you select the zone and then the mode which is heat pump. We have two heat pumps on our coach and they work great until the temperture gets down to around thirty degrees, then it will switch to furnace automaticly. Our heat pumps really put out a lot of heat. I was reading another post where he states his only knocks off the chill. That is not true. If you set it at 80 degrees, it will maintain that temperture. At night all we use is the front heat pump, set it at 75 and it keeps my 38' coach warm all night.
Hope that helps you.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO BLUE
That heat pump or roof heater or electric heater will not warm past 60 it just takes the chill out....the propane furnace will roast you jim k

If you set the thermstat at 80 degrees, it should heat up to that temperture. Ours will heat to what ever you set the temperture at.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
RayChez1

Default Re: Heat pump and Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Both the heat pumps and the furnace operate off the same thermstat. If you want the furnace you go to mode and choose furnace set the temperture you want and it will work just like at home. Keeps the coach at the temperture you chose.
Now if you want the heat pumps then you select by zones. The one in the bedroom is zone 1, so you select zone 1 and then go to mode and select heat pump. You set the temperture you want and it will hold that temperture. Same goes for the other two heat pumps, you select the zone and then the mode which is heat pump. We have two heat pumps on our coach and they work great until the temperture gets down to around thirty degrees, then it will switch to furnace automaticly. Our heat pumps really put out a lot of heat. I was reading another post where he states his only knocks off the chill. That is not true. If you set it at 80 degrees, it will maintain that temperture. At night all we use is the front heat pump, set it at 75 and it keeps my 38' coach warm all night.
Hope that helps you.
You also mention that the furnace and heat pump go on together on your coach. Sometimes the furnace will go on for a minute or two, but then it will cut off and the heat pump setting will go on. They are not suppose to both run at the same time. Fact it takes a few minutes for the heat pump to start if it is on Auto. It will start right away if you set it at LOW or HIGH, but it will throw cold air until the pump engages. Then it will gradually start heating.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
jshelley13

Default 2007 tour 42

when I stop for the nite, walmart , flying J, etc, & use my furnace, by morning my batteries are low, & in one or two cases....the furnace has shut down....is this normal or could I have bad batteries or batteries...thks Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default furnace

I do not know if this is normal or not just that mine do the same thing. 2007 I8357 Bob
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
RayChez1

Check your batteries with a hydrometer. You might have some shorted out batteries. You can get a hydrometer at Wal Mart. They are not expensive. Very easy to use. If it shows in the green, your batteries are OK, but if they are in the red, they will have to be replaced.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
11B

OK guys I'm a little lost here and admittedly not to sharp on the heat pump useage. I have two roof airs, on the thermostat I can go to mode and go to heat pumps and I have always just assumed that the heat pump/air conditioning units are one in the same. Question be am I assuming correctly or just making a A$$ out of myself?

I was always led to belive that a heat pump can only generate heat inside to equal the outside tempature is this right or wrong? Any ansewers here will be greatly appreciated.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
RayChez1

The heat pumps and the air conditioners are the same unit. You will have in your thermostat zone one and zone two if you have to air conditioners with heat pumps like mine. Zone one is the heat pump in the bedroom and zone two is the heat pump in the front of the coach. If you are hooked up to 50 amp I can use both front and back, but on my coach if I am hooked up to 30 amp I can only use one at a time. Now lets say you want to use the one in the front. You set your thermostat at what ever temperature you want and set it at Auto. It will take like 60 seconds and then it will start and gradually heat up to the temperature you set your thermostat. It will maintain that temperature until it falls below thirty five degrees, then it will automaticly switch to FURNACE. I hardly ever use the furnace unless I am in real cold country below thirty five degrees. Now as to how the heat pump works, that I am not sure. I believe somebody told me that the air conditioner works in reverse. But I am not sure. Mine work really good and I save a lot on propane. Outside temperature does not effect it unless it drops way down below 35 degrees.
Hope that helps you.
Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
jshelley13

Default 2007 tour 42

thks guys, will try the hydrometer.....if the house batteries run low one nite, will driving the next day replenish coach & house bayyeries?thks
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
RayChez1

Default Re: 2007 tour 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelley13
thks guys, will try the hydrometer.....if the house batteries run low one nite, will driving the next day replenish coach & house bayyeries?thks
On my coach when driving it charges the chassis batteries, but I am not sure of the house batteries. I don't think they charge on mine. The house batteries charge with the charger on the inverter when hooked up to shore power.
Which Gulfstream coach do you have jshelley13. I don't see it on your posts, it might give us some information in order to try an answer your question. The reason I ask this is because if you have an inverter/charger in your coach, you can run an equalization of the batteries to renew them. We should all do this at least once every six months to clear up the sulfate off the battery plates.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
jshelley13

Default 2007 gulfstream T 40 A 42'

what do you mean by an equalization ?thks J
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
RayChez1

Default Re: 2007 gulfstream T 40 A 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelley13
what do you mean by an equalization ?thks J
To equalize the house batteries means that every six months you need to put them on a real high charge, some where around 16 amps of charge. Most diesel pushers are equipped with a charger built into the inverter which has this system where you just press a couple of buttons on the Heart Interface panel and your equalization starts and stops automaticly after eight hours. You have to turn every thing off the coach so that sensitive components don't get damaged with the high charge. The idea behind equalization is that when a wet cell battery is taken to a high charge for eight hours the sulfate that has accumulated on the lead plates in the battery will fall to the bottom of the battery and expose fresh lead plates. It rejuvinates your house batteries. If you do this your house batteries will last you a long time if you maintain them. Make sure the distilled water lever is up.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
jshelley13

Default 2007 gulfstream T 40 A 42'

thks ray chez....j