Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
trickto322

Default Fuel up diaster

We were in a Flying J and going thru the RV pump and because the cut into the pump was so short it looked like the toad would not make it thru. I tried to straighten it out however in the mean time I took out three basement doors and nicked another by the barriers on either side of the pumps. We were in Florida and the insurance agent came out in a flash and told us the doors would be in approx. a week and the following week the work would be done and just as quickly she cut us a check. After waiting a week for the doors to come in we went to the dealer she sent us to see what was going on, it looked ok until we talked to the manager of the bodyshop. He said it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get the doors (if they send the right ones) and then probably 4 more weeks to get a spot in the schedule to fix it. We then asked the agent to change where it was being fixed to someplace closer to home and she said if the doors were ordered its to late. Any thoughts on how to get out of this? (ALWAYS US THE TRUCK PUMPS)
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
RJ82much

First of all Trick... my sympathies. Been there - done that.

On our maiden voyage, I scratched a door & broke out a piece aound the rear wheel on a low bridge abutment. Then the door plain & simply fell off. The design defect was to be covered by warantee. Six months later, the door came in but wrong dimensions. Several more months got me good door but dealer butchered the paint match.

couple more months & another door broke off. I got Gulf Stream's undivided attention. They ordered a complete set of new compartment doors all the way around. And yes, they needed 6 to 8 weeks. The rest is good history as the Factory took care of the replacement & painting.

Why so long? The compartment doors are actually made by another company for Gulf Stream, to Gulf Stream drawings. From the excellent quality of the current supplier, I expect they are very busy. Hence the 6 week delay. Also, every model, & maybe even each year requires a different set of compartment door sets, so they ARE custom made.

Hope that helps a tad, though a damaged coach is never going to feel good.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
djqualls

I Feel your frustration. I thought the world was ending when I made the maiden scratch on mine. An old RV'er told me don't take it personally. Everyone has a story with theirs.

I felt better about my ability and competentency to own/operate a coach of this size after his affirmation that it just happens.......

Dave..........
Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Beaufort NC

I took out a whole set of doors on a guard rail just outside of Cumberland, MD a couple of years ago (narrow two lane). It was my previous Holiday Rambler at speed, and I thought I had torn the whole side of the coach off, but it wound up being almost all cosmetic, with everything functional after the incident. I never did get it fixed!
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
coolchas11

Sorry to read about the accident. Is "home" on the road or CT? Charlie