Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
Steven

Question Visa 19ERD - no anode, don't know that to get

Have a 2013 Visa 19ERD (just bought used). Has plug instead of anode. Need to get one, but not sure exactly which one to get. Seems it matters what model water heater I have but cannot determine this from looking at it. I *think* it is a suburban. I also think I need one with magnesium instead of aluminum.

Can anyone assist in identifying the water heater manufacturer and which anode I should get? Thanks.

Steve
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

if your water heater only has a 'drain' plug, then it doesn't require an anode rod - not all do...Atwood is one that does not, since they use a ceramic or stainless water tank, which cannot rust. Sounds like you don't need one. : ) Mine doesn't.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Steve, it is important that you try your best to find out what water heater you have, because that will ultimately tell you what you need. Suburban water heaters use a steel tank, and therefore DO need and anode rod. If that is what you have, I recommend the Suburban branded anode rod to purchase and use. An Atwood brand water heater uses an aluminum tank, and therefore does not need an anode rod, so they just use a plug.

Look at your heater, then search the web. The Atwood and Suburban look different, but are the same size, if you have a typical 6 gallon like most RVs have. You could always take a photo of yours and post it too, as we could probably tell you what you have. Good luck, LTL
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Sundancer268

If it is an ATWOOD, do not replace the plastic plug with a metal one unless you can find an Aluminum plug. Atwood uses plastic to prevent Galvanic Corrosion at the plug thread tank thread interface and the plugs do have to be replaced every so many years as like most plastics they do break and harden with age. How soon the Galvanic Corrosion will happen will depend on the quality of the water you are running through the heater. Look in your manuals and brochures that came with your unit and it should say what brand came with your unit.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Sundancer268

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAHaerospace View Post
if your water heater only has a 'drain' plug, then it doesn't require an anode rod - not all do...Atwood is one that does not, since they use a ceramic or stainless water tank, which cannot rust. Sounds like you don't need one. : ) Mine doesn't.

Atwood tanks are Aluminum not Ceramic or Stainless Steel.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Sundancer268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Have a 2013 Visa 19ERD (just bought used). Has plug instead of anode. Need to get one, but not sure exactly which one to get. Seems it matters what model water heater I have but cannot determine this from looking at it. I *think* it is a suburban. I also think I need one with magnesium instead of aluminum.

Can anyone assist in identifying the water heater manufacturer and which anode I should get? Thanks.

Steve
Try placing a Magnet on the tank and see if it sticks, if it does, you have a Suburban, I would go and try in the relief valve area as that will probably be most accessible.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
DolceFarNiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Steve
Why do you assume it needs an anode? Only WH with steel tanks use them, and I've never had an RV WH that required one.

I think it would safe to assume if it doesn't already have an anode, one is not required.

You might try looking at images of WH online and see if you can identify yours; they haven't changed much through the years and the tank part (unlike the controls) changes the least of all.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceFarNiente View Post
Why do you assume it needs an anode? Only WH with steel tanks use them, and I've never had an RV WH that required one.

I think it would safe to assume if it doesn't already have an anode, one is not required.

You might try looking at images of WH online and see if you can identify yours; they haven't changed much through the years and the tank part (unlike the controls) changes the least of all.

I have a ten gallon Suburban on my coach and it uses a magnesium, but you can also use a aluminum which is just a cheaper rod. Both do the same thing except one is better then the other.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
Robert+Lori

I also have a 2013 19 ERD and it has a suburban water heater in it, my problem is I can't get the plug off it's seized on there pretty bad I don't want to break it I'm in a pickle
Robert+Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #10
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert+Lori View Post
I also have a 2013 19 ERD and it has a suburban water heater in it, my problem is I can't get the plug off it's seized on there pretty bad I don't want to break it I'm in a pickle
Make sure you use a socket, do not use an open wrench. And make sure that the water heater has been turned off for several days. Don't go burn yourself with hot water. There will even be pressure in the tank. But if the heater has been off for several days, the water will be cold. There is a lot of crud that accumulates in those water heaters.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visa 19erd anode