Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Darinhauer

Default Generac Generator won’t stay running

My Generac diesel generator starts up just find but won’t stay running. The oil is full, fuel above half tank.
If I hold the glow plug or starte switch it will stay running.
The regulator was my first suspicion but the regulator in these things are the size of a electronic brain box for your car. Any thoughts?
Darinhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
ricklin

Default Filters??

Have you replaced both the fuel and the air filters for the genset? The fuel line for the generator is set up so the generator can't run the fuel tank dry and leave you stranded. Thus if your rig is low on fuel the generator may not be getting any fuel.
If the generator has a lot of hours on it your issue could be poor compression. The glow plugs will increase compression, that's basically how they work. The heat expands the air in the cylinder and the compression ignites the fuel.
ricklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
wfiskum

If you haven't replaced your genset fuel filter, you should. It is pretty easy to do and you can buy them online through Amazon. Since you are "down there" you might as well change the oil and air filter as well. Use a hose crimping tool to stop the fuel flow before you disconnect the lines from the fuel filter or else you'll have a mess. I installed a fuel shutoff valve on mine and bought some longer fuel lines so I could take the fuel filter down instead of reaching into the generator. Good luck!
wfiskum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
Darinhauer

324 hours
Fully serviced
Wire #14 when 12v power placed to it the unit stays running.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darinhauer View Post
324 hours
Fully serviced
Wire #14 when 12v power placed to it the unit stays running.
Is yours the Generac Quietpact 75D? How long will it run before shutting down? If less than 6 seconds, it's likely a safety cutout such as low oil level, low oil pressure, high coolant temp, or a bad sensor. It could also be a shorted Wire 18.

I had similar issues last summer. Lube oil pressure switch was bad but then we found wire #18 was corroded and shorting to ground which is essentially what happens when a shutdown is initiated (Wire 18 is grounded on the board). A bad wire translated to a grounding signal which removes voltage to Wire 14 which kills fuel and shuts the engine down.

By applying voltage to Wire 14, I believe you are essentially bypassing any shutdown initiated by Wire 18 if there was a problem identified during the startup sequence.

Hope this helps!
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Darinhauer

That helps a ton. I tested all sensors but didn’t even look at wire #18. I’ll check it out.
Thank you
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Darinhauer

And yes it’s the 75D
Old 11-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
proost

How'd it go?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #9
silvereagle

yes please let us know how it went, seems we are having similar issues with our 75d genset. Just spent 3k and after leaving the state it is again shutting down...
silvereagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
Darinhauer

Default Generac Generator Won't Stay Running

So, I contacted Generac and they don;t have any dealers or shops here in Oregon so I took it to a diesel engine repair guy that does a lot of work on Onans. After extensive testing of sensors and circuitry, he decided that the electronic board is bad and didn't want to get into trying to get parts from the mfg., so it's back home waiting for me to call Generac to see how much a board is, how much it costs and figure out if I try to repair it or have to replace it - Ugh!
I have other priorities right now so likely won;t get to this for quite some time. Meantime, always go where there's power
Old 05-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
proost

Quote:
So, I contacted Generac and they don;t have any dealers or shops here in Oregon so I took it to a diesel engine repair guy that does a lot of work on Onans. After extensive testing of sensors and circuitry, he decided that the electronic board is bad and didn't want to get into trying to get parts from the mfg., so it's back home waiting for me to call Generac to see how much a board is, how much it costs and figure out if I try to repair it or have to replace it - Ugh!
I have other priorities right now so likely won;t get to this for quite some time. Meantime, always go where there's power
Hey Darin - this is the control board if I recall correctly. ASAP is a great company that is fair in prices and support for these gensets. Did you say you had the diagnostic and repair manual? If not, I can send it to you. ~Phil
Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #12
Darinhauer

That's actually not a bad price at all. Thanks Paul.
I do have a manual but not sure it is for this exact model, if you have one please send.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
proost

Hey Darin - just shot you a private message. Phil
Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
Darinhauer

Got it, thanks a ton, it may be a stint but I'll reach back out once I get this thing fixed.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
Franktown

My Generac 75D would only run for approx 6 minutes. I found the problem was the radiator fluid level. The reservoir on top of the generator was filled properly. However, when I opened the door on the top of the generator and removed the radiator cap, I found there wasn't any fluid showing. So, I topped off the radiator fluid and it ran for two hours without a problem. I hope this helps with your generator and I hope others remove the radiator cap to check the fluid instead of only checking the overflow tank.
Franktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #16
Darinhauer

It’s worth checking Franktown. I eventually replaced the electronic board. No success. Turns over but no start.
Not sure if I pay $3k at CW in hopes of repair or buy a new generator for $8k +
Old 12-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #17
proost

Quote:
It’s worth checking Franktown. I eventually replaced the electronic board. No success. Turns over but no start.
Not sure if I pay $3k at CW in hopes of repair or buy a new generator for $8k +
Happy Holidays!! Okay, No - don't go to CW for repair. Find a local shop to have them properly diagnose since it is a very basic system once you pull the cover off.

Didn't you say originally that it started but then quit? If it doesn't start now, perhaps it's associated with the panel replacement.

IF you decide to replace, visonerv.com has two in stock; one with 800 hours or so and the other with less than 100. The latter they are asking $5k.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
Darinhauer

I’ll look into a local shop. I’m in Arizona now until March.
Yes, it started out originally when I’d start it, I’d have to hold the glow plug or start button about 5-7 seconds before it would stay running. Then it eventually got to the point it would start but only run a few seconds. With the board replacement it only turns over. Possibly I didn’t get a good connection on some of the terminals.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #19
proost

If you are down in the valley, check with Arizona RV service LLC. They got my generator running after I had a fault. If your generator set up is like mine which means they have to drop it out of the coach, it will cost you a few bones but then they can sit there and try to get it running on the bench.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #20
Darinhauer

I'll give them a try