Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Willyt

Default Engine access

Hello Class A owners ! I have a 2002 Friendship and I was wondering what it takes to access the top side of the motor. I thought it would be pretty straight forward, but too good to be true. I took all the visible screws out and nothing budges. I don't want to start tearing into it more than what's necessary. It looks like they sealed this thing up without thinking of any future access. Anybody out there with this model had any experience with this ?? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Willyt
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
gwirth

Under your bed there should be an access, covered by a carpeted piece of plywood.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
RayChez1

On my Scenic Cruiser you remove the mattress, disconnect the two shock absorbers and lift the plywood that supports the mattress all the way up and out of the way. Then you have the box and the cover is held by long screws. Some are hard to find because they are sunk into the carpet, remove them and the box cover will come off. The top of the engine is exposed and you should be able to do what you want. That is a good time to get a electric power washer and after you have sprayed the engine, CAC and radiator with Simple Green or a degreaser, then after five minutes spray the whole thing clean. I actually start the engine and let it run while I am spraying since I have a rear radiator, the fan pushes the water and degreaser right through the fins and the engine will like new. Then just do the reverse of uninstalling and install the cover back. To remove the long screws use a power cordless power drill, it saves you a lot of work.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Willyt

Thanks Ray
I got to the point where I took those long screws out of the carpet covered plywood and thought it would lift up and it wouldn't budge, I'll give it another try. It looks like th carpet goes to the floor ?? Thanks for your help !
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
W0JON

I have a 2006 Tour Master t40 A with a king size bed which is new to me, had the oil changed by one of the are truck and diesel service centers. They could not figure out how to get to the top of the engine, so they had 2 of their smallest framed mechanics wedge their way in from the bottom.... not an easy task.... I have seen where the carpet is velcroed in a spot by the back side of the bed, but also could not figure out how to access the motor... they said the oil and air filter are located their... anyone have any knowledge on how to get to the top of the engine via the inside engine cover??
W0JON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
W0JON

I did find some of the carpet by the bed had Velcro attached and I imagine it has to being able to access the top of the motor.... could not figure out how... lifting the bed takes 2 men and several small boys to lift and then put a 2x4 to support....
Jon
Old 12-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
gwirth

That’s crazy, I have never had a mechanic go inside to change oil. The drain plug is on the bottom of the engine and the oil fill is in the outside area by the radiator, as is the fill for coolant. The
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
W0JON

oil filter and air filter...... in canisters , according to the mechanics... they climbed up between the engine and frame to get at them.... oil filler is on the back of the MH when you open the door...... check oil, fill oil, and water/anti-freeze, hydrolic fluid...
says somewhere in the manuals to access the filters via the inside .... via the floor area to get to the top of the engine.... Mercedes Benz 330 HP
Old 12-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #9
W0JON

there is a rear floor engine access port on the Tour Master T40 A located on the passenger side back on the foot end of the bend between the bed and dresser so the 11 o'clock position looking from the hall way side of the king size bed. Received the drawings from Millie at customer support for Gulf Stream