Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Bfloxword

Default basic electrical question

I hooked up my house 110v power, but the power doesn't seem to be in the RV. no interior lights, etc....

starting the truck gives me a/c, refrigerator?, interior lights, but no TV.. The outlets in the RV don't seem to be powered.

I'm a total rookie as regards RV's. what am I doing wrong?
Bfloxword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
Bfloxword

Well. Hooking up the Rv thru a 15 amp breaker while a water pump used the same circuit....popped the breaker. All’s well now.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

LIGHTS SHOULD HAVE WORKED IF BATTERY CONNECTED AND CHARGED, AS THEY ARE 12VDC; your tale says battery dead or disconnected, but must be ON to charge when plugged in; turn off ONLY when storing without shoreline power.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
hossross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfloxword View Post
I hooked up my house 110v power, but the power doesn't seem to be in the RV. no interior lights, etc....

starting the truck gives me a/c, refrigerator?, interior lights, but no TV.. The outlets in the RV don't seem to be powered.

I'm a total rookie as regards RV's. what am I doing wrong?
First the TV wall recepticles and only works on 110 AC power, Since you don't have power either, then a breaker is tripped so best to start checking for power. Go find the fuse box in your RV and flip all the black switches on and off, the colored fuses that have a number on them or for the 12 V circuits don't take any of them out. Do you have a voltmeter? if not get a cheap one from Harbor Freight and make sure you have it on AC more than 110 V setting. put probes into the end of your extension cord at the RV and should have 110 V. However you didn't say what type of plug shape is on your RV to shore power, if 3 in Y fashion it is 110 35 amp, if 4 then it is 220 and 50 amp. you wont hurt any thing probing the ends of the house ext cord. youll either get 220 or 110 or nothing so probe all terminal comibination and set voltmeter for 220 and start measuring.

You also said that you have no interior overhead lights when plugged into shore power (ie your land 110 voltage source) That is another problem, as they are only 12 doesn't matter if plugged in or not.

You can use the same voltmeter for 12 V just set the meter for 12V DC and you can test for levels at your batteries, the battery charger out put etc the batteries across the lead connector terminals should be 12.8 V fully charged, the battery charger when plugged into the 110 and working should be 13.5 or more but less than 15. The same numbers should also be coming out of the engines alternator when the engine is running above 1000 rpm.

Watch some you tube videos on how to use the voltmeter or multimeter as it may be called. When checking voltages you can't hurt anything, your not ready for amps or ohms resistance, so stay off those meter settings until you have more eletrical skills.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Bfloxword

Tripped house breaker.... dumb question. Fixed
Old 05-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Bfloxword

Finally realized the power cord was not live, house breaker tripped. Fixed. Thanks!