Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
Heath

Default Not charging while driving

Hi all,
New here! Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

Hoping someone can help me identify what I need to fix or install in my motorhome (2006 Vista Cruiser Mini diesel) to get the house batteries to charge while driving? The house batteries are not being charged by the chassis battery while driving, but they do charge via the solar panels, generator, and on shore power. I assumed this was a battery isolator issue, so I went digging (see attached pics). I found a solenoid in the compartment to the rear of the house batteries (left side of the motorhome), and I verified that I have 12v on each side, one side from the chassis batteries, one side from the house batteries. So then I traced a yellow wire from the solenoid up to under the driver's seat. When I finally found the end of the yellow wires, it was actually 2 yellow wires that were connected to NOTHING. If I cross these 2 yellow wires, the solenoid activates/clicks and the batteries are connected. There is a lot of extra wire for these, so I don't know where they were supposed to end up.

Next to the solenoid is an "Unknown Component" that uses one of the mystery yellow wires, along with ground and a connection to the solenoid.

So, my questions are... What are these 2 wires supposed to be connected to? Some sort of battery isolator/relay? If so, is that supposed to be under the driver's seat?

Or is the solenoid I'm looking at strictly for the AUX start? The AUX start on/off switch has 2 orange wires that also go under the driver's seat. One goes to the chassis 12V+, and the other I can't locate without taking the driver's seat off. The AUX start also is not working, so I'm not sure if these are just two related issues with this solenoid, or if I should be looking at a ground issue for the charging while driving problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (181.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-component.jpg (147.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Blue-wire-connected-to-yellow-wire.jpg (155.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2-yellow-wires-under-drivers-seat.jpg (141.5 KB, 8 views)
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
lets go

It appears to me the solenoid is for aux start and the yellow wires have been added and probably went to switch or another solenoid or relay used to activate one in compartment.

Maybe this video will help after watching it it may well the solenoid that is used to charge battery and aux start . I know I have a better understanding after watching it

https://youtu.be/wc_vGNHhAYE
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
pwerwagn

The yellow wires are likely for an “emergency start” switch. Usually a momentary switch to allow you to start the truck with the camper batts if they die, or vice versa to start the gen with the truck batts.

As far as it not charging your house batts, I would assume there is some delay box that activates the solenoid after the truck has been running for a predetermined time (60 sec?). My supernova has that, and I found a fuse bad a while back that wasn’t allowing that box to sense the truck was running.

For a simple workaround you can put a switch in the dash to power that solenoid. But I would pull 12v from a keyed ign source that way if you forget to turn it off you don’t drain the truck batts while camping.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Heath

Thank you both for the replies.

I have considered a simple switch. In fact, for a few trips I just had the wires crossed for charging. A relay to prevent chassis battery discharging is a good idea, thanks. Do I need to worry about overcharging of the house batteries from the alternator if I do this?
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
unom

The mystery box is likely the timer delay. If you visit this thread:

https://www.gsowners.com/forums/show...?t=7293&page=2

You will find that a kind and resourceful fellow list member has added some electrical drawings for various gulfstream models. Read through the thread until you find a “GitHub” link, click it, and then look for drawing CE1461. You will see how the solenoid is expected to work. Your wiring might be a little different, but the principle will still apply.

Here is a link to the instructions for the Intellitec timer that Gulfstream typically uses:

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...y-1-Manual.pdf

As an additional thought, I found myself with dead coach batteries, brand new truck batteries, and extended slides. I pressed that “boost” button real hard, but nothing happened, and I had to pump the slides in by hand. The “boost” button will join the two electrical systems, but requires 12volts from the **coach** batteries. You might think about adding a second boost switch that is powered by the truck batteries so that you can join the two systems regardless of which system is dead. It’s a good while-you’re-in-there project.
unom is offline   Reply With Quote