Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Draco

Default Toad/Dinghy

I have a mini Cooper manual transmission that I would like to use for towing behind our motorhome I am wondering what kind of price range I would be looking at to get this vehicle set up for towing I live in the northwest any help or comments would be appreciated.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Base plates are specific for each model and all run around $400. Tow bar and brake system are expensive but are often available used on Craigslist or EBay. I purchased an almost new Brake Buddy and Blue Ox tow bar for under $700
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Draco

Thank you very much for your reply I will check Amazon for the braking system again thank you.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
DolceFarNiente

Have you checked to make sure your Mini is flat-towable?
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
lets go

Yes the Mini Cooper can be flat towed as long as it has a standard transmission I watched a you tube video of the installation of how every thing is installed . I believe the video was from etrailer. I have been thinking about using a Mini Cooper as well
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
bmojmhs

Check with your local state requirements for towing. They are all different. I know Campingworild have a chart that shows what each state requires for towing. I'm in Canada and to tow my Corolla I have no requirement for additional braking. When I bought my towing equipment the sales guy at Campingworld hauled out a US map that had all the states and towing requirements on it.

Also, Roadmaster is in Vancouver WA and you can buy parts from them if you need something.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #7
bharbison2500

I have the Ready Brute Elite system from NSA. It was a little on the expensive side but it is nice to have a system that I can hookup by myself and was super super easy to install. The surge brake works exceptionally well and is another piece of mind when going down steep grades.
bharbison2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #8
bmojmhs

I looked at their webpage and they say they do not provide the baseplate frame work for the mini? Is that correct?
If so, what make of baseplate do you have on the Mini that the Brute hooks up to?
What did you do to get your brake lites & turn signal lites to work?
I have a Roadmaster system and it is easy to hook up.

One thing to check is your hitch attachment to your motorhome. On mine, the person who installed it years ago, didn't use lock nuts and over the years the nuts came off. Fortunately, I was in a town when the car I was towing pulled out to pass me. The hitch was hanging on the motorhome with 2 bolts and 1 nut. I replaced them all, used double lock nuts. Now I check them every time I tow.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #9
DocHolliday

Default No can do 4 wheels down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
I have a mini Cooper manual transmission that I would like to use for towing behind our motorhome I am wondering what kind of price range I would be looking at to get this vehicle set up for towing I live in the northwest any help or comments would be appreciated.
I had a Mini. JCW Clubman. Thought I’d do the same thing. Turns out, through the Dealer, you have to tow the Mini either the front drive wheels up or all 4, even though the Mini has a manual trans. In my 2009 case, the lubrication for the trans comes from the engine revolving, not from the wheels turning. REMCO at the time did not make an adapter. I did not want to fuss with a dolly or trailer so traded for a Jeep.

So, be careful and consult your owners manual. If needed consult the dealer.