Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
WTyler

Default AC replacement ERD19

Well. I committed the ultimate sin by forgetting about height clearance of the top-mount AC unit and now it’s crushed. See pic. Is this something an owner could replace? Where can I find a replacement unit, besides the dealer? Thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E9F634A-FCB2-447C-BEFD-05DFB8C0A777.jpg (317.6 KB, 14 views)
WTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
DolceFarNiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
Well. I committed the ultimate sin by forgetting about height clearance of the top-mount AC unit and now it’s crushed. See pic. Is this something an owner could replace? Where can I find a replacement unit, besides the dealer? Thank you!!
Yes, you can install a new one yourself. Google "RV air conditioner" to find one. Like this onehttps://www.rvpartscountry.com/Domet...hoCPvQQAvD_BwE

They are surprisingly heavy; you'll want assistance to get the old one down and the new one up on your roof to avoid damaging sides and roof corners.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
WTyler

Thank you for the info. I’ll start working on this tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
RY469

Default AC

Your AC sits on a 14" x 14" hole. There are four long screws threaded from below that hold it on. The gasket between the AC and your roof is what makes it water tight. So, remove the ceiling package, remove the four long screws, remove the AC. You have a 120VAC connection, so turn off the circuit breaker first. If the thermostat is remote, there will be wiring for that also. AND if you have "duct work" for the AC (remote vents it blows through). You'll see where the roof has a cavity the air blows into. Use metal tape designed for heater ductwork to seal it the way it was when you took it apart. Clear as mud? I do this type of work frequently, it's not that hard with a little patience.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
WTyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
Your AC sits on a 14" x 14" hole. There are four long screws threaded from below that hold it on. The gasket between the AC and your roof is what makes it water tight. So, remove the ceiling package, remove the four long screws, remove the AC. You have a 120VAC connection, so turn off the circuit breaker first. If the thermostat is remote, there will be wiring for that also. AND if you have "duct work" for the AC (remote vents it blows through). You'll see where the roof has a cavity the air blows into. Use metal tape designed for heater ductwork to seal it the way it was when you took it apart. Clear as mud? I do this type of work frequently, it's not that hard with a little patience.
Thank you RY469 for the wonderful detail!
Old 06-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
Farmer Fran

I assume you are done by now and I hope all went well.

My $0.02 the AC unit is something I let the dealer do for a few reasons and assuming you have a good dealer. If the unit is bad they eat the removal and replacement. They cover any damage to the roof, but they have lifts to aid in the placement of the AC unit so that is usually a non-issue.
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
WTyler

Thanks Farmer Fran. I pickup the new AC unit from the dealer today and planning to install tomorrow. I read replies to this post and watched some YouTube vids and feel pretty confident.