Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-09-2020, 04:49 AM   #1
Pursuit

Default Trailer hitch drags with any incline

Looking for a fix to raise the rear of the bt5210 a couple of inches. Not sure if air lift bags or respringing is the way to go..looking for the best solution...
Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Tinman

Default Tail Dragging

Not familiar with the 5210 (21') but I have a 5290 (29')on a Ford E450. Put on Air Bag Load Lifter 5000 bags. the air line and Bilstein shock plastic protector melted first time out.The hitch still would drag. I would go with the springs. I went to Tractor Supply and bought 2 of the heaviest 4" steel casters and installed them on the receiver. The BT still drags but the wheels help on hard surfaces but gouges the grass. Don't know if the springs would help (my local spring alignment shop said it would} but air bags didn't solve my problem.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Pursuit

Default Dragging hitch

Sounds like I need to visit a spring shop to have them sell me the right fix.
Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Tinman

Default Tail Dragging

I live in Pa and when I had my front end aligned the spring shop quoted me a price of $2200.00 for heavier springs. I’m on the fence.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
W5MIC

Default Options

Airbags, Air shocks, higher profile rear tires. If you aren’t pulling anything...remove the hitch.
W5MIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
purduepete12

Default Rear drag

I have a 2007 BT Cruiser model 5291B and I had two extra leafs added to the 11 spring pack and now have 13 leafs. I did it when it was new and complained to the factory about the rear tail pipe on the generator dragging. They took it to Mor-ryde in Elkhart and added the spring leafs which raised the rear end a bit but, also improved the handling with the stiffer springs. They also moved the generator to the compartment just behind the passenger door. The hitch still drags on some inclines but it is an improvement over previous design.
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
dgl2005

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5MIC View Post
Airbags, Air shocks, higher profile rear tires. If you aren’t pulling anything...remove the hitch.

Have a 2017 5230 and the hitch only drags if I have a auto transport on it and there is a low spot like swales. Not worth investing money for this reason.
dgl2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
RayChez1

I used to have the same problem with my previous gasoline class A motor home. But I got the problem solved with two rear Firestone air lifts. I would apply 90 lbs of air on each one and it would lift the rear end right up to where I did not have the dragging problem I had going over dips on some streets. I also added two heavy duty rollers and attached them to the frame just behind the levelers and that was to when ever I was going to drive up into my drive way instead of dragging the rear end, the rollers would touch the ground first and would give it a couple of inches more of height. Fact I still have the rollers, I removed them when I traded the gasoline coach in for the diesel. But that is how I solved the dragging of the long rear end on my class A motor home.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

If you go w/ casters, (from what I read on many websites), put extra steel plate BETWEEN caster mount PLATE and hitch, as casters will be DESTROYED if the plate w/ ball-bearings BENDS. The caster kits w/ straight bolts needs plate on BOTTOM NEXT to caster, and straight bolts converted to U-bolts. Mine had (destroyed remnants of improperly mounted) casters when I bought it. e-TRAILER casters appear to be rated at 5,000# each?