Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
tmax247

Default Murphy Bed

We have a 2004 Gulfstream Endura on a Kodiak chasis. We have an elderly, somewhat handicapped family of 5 (sometimes 6) adults. Sleeping in this RV is just like any other, the dinette =1, the couch =1 or 2, and we put up a cot, plus 2 in the bedroom.

One time we took out the dinette and had 2 home recliners in there. They were good for relaxing, even sleeping but not good for travel. The real problem is daytime activity. I would like to make the bedroom available for daytime TV and using the desk and cabinets more readily.

I am thinking of taking out the bed and put in recliner/murphy bed setup.
I have not found a murphy bed for rv (with recliners underneath) like the Leisure Unity setup for sale on the internet. Camping World has nothing like that.

I am somewhat worried about the additional weight on the slideout but if I use the other cabinets then the slide side cabinets can be kept empty and the underbed storage would be taken away, thus eliminating that weight. Any thoughts? Anyone know where a I can look for these? We are in PA.
tmax247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
jamesham

Default Lots of options available

We have looked at Murphy Beds online for possible use in our sticks and bricks home office. There are units available similar to the Unity motorhome with a sofa and the rest of the bed comes down around it. But they are not cheap, and I wonder if they would be too heavy for a motorhome application, especially if a slider is involved. There are also a few do-it-yourself designs on the internet using IKEA cabinets. Just do a search and you will find lots of choices and high prices.

[QUOTE=tmax247;29857]We have a 2004 Gulfstream Endura on a Kodiak
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
tmax247

Default Gulfstream Bedroom

Well, had my stepson take the top off the bed to see what was under there and it turns out that the entire slide support and mechanism is under the bed and extends to the foot of the bed. I assume this was done because of the tanks under the coach back there.

So........ it turns out that the bed is the bed and that's that unless we get someone to do a major overhaul and we cannot afford that.
tmax247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedroom remodel, murphy bed