Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
renman43

Default 2005 Bt touring cruiser 5230

New to me. Everything works except the outlet plug for the tv is not powered on. The tv works when plugged into more distant outlets in the rv. I checked the fuse. It was good, but I replaced it anyways. I unscrewed the outlet to check, and the wires are all in place. Is there something I am not seeing? Is there something else I can check before taking it to an rv repair place? Thanks for any advice.
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

What type of outlet are you referring to? AC or DC?

The DC outlet is likely fed through a fuse in the 12v panel. You said that you went ahead and changed it, so that is what I'm guessing you are talking about. If that's that case, what fuse did you change? One thing to know about these units is that they don't wire (or plumb, etc.) anything like you would necessarily think. You need to double check. Did you change the curbside fuse? Maybe the outlet is wired to the roadside fuse! Double check. I think my TV shares the fridge circuit. Check them all! For DC stuff, always check that you have a good ground and refresh the ground connection if needed.

Same goes for the AC side of things. It's worth knowing what circuit everything is on by testing things out. Get a small lamp or fan and plug it in to an outlet. Now flip off the circuit breaker that you think that outlet is on. Did the thing turn off? If not, flip breakers one-by-one until you find out. Then write down your notes for future reference. For AC outlets, know that they are cheapy type that just push onto a stripped wire. Those can disconnect easier than a screw on type.

Last notes: -for RV electrical, it could've been a mouse
-just because it's an RV, doesn't mean you NEED a "RV" repair center or mechanic. Systems are systems. Electrical problems=electrician, plumbing problems=plumber, etc. It seems like folks waste so much time and money trying to get an "RV" person to look at something. Know someone handy? Know of a tradesman in town? Call around.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #3
renman43

Default Electrical

All of the outlets except for the tv work while rv is plugged in.

Took a photo of fuse box, but do not know how to upload to my reply. Under DC it says #6 is for TV. Others on DC are 1 curb side 2 road side 3Rear 4 trunk lights 5 water pump 6 tv 7monitor panel 8 furnace 9 a/c 10 electric step 11 lp detector and 12 also says electric step

Under a/c the breakers are 1 main 2 road side 3 a/c 4 microwave 5 curb side and 6 converter.

Tested all I could with the lamp. Everything works w/rv plugged in except tv.
I like the idea getting an electrician. I have a friend who might help. Is there a way to switch the outlets from a/c to d/c? Dumb question. I really do appreciate your advice. Obviously you know what you’re talking about.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
renman43

Attempting to attach photo of fuse and breaker chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCECA949-758A-445C-BE3F-A8294D1EF2F8.jpeg (395.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-06-2023, 11:04 PM   #5
Leisure Time Larry

The DC #6 is going to be the fuse for the 12v cigarette lighter looking receptacle. Is that what your TV plugs into? Or, are we talking AC, like a regular house outlet? Can you take a picture of it and post it?
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Old 04-06-2023, 11:34 PM   #6
renman43

It has a regular household plug and outlet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9B52FDE-466E-4BE4-A939-825F5BEE930C.jpg (167.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-06-2023, 11:59 PM   #7
Leisure Time Larry

Okay, that is an AC (Alternating Current) outlet. It will not be affected by the 12v DC fuses, but the AC breakers. I know you said everything else worked, but I would go and reset both the Road Side and the Curb Side circuit breakers. Then try it again.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:25 AM   #8
renman43

Actually flipped the breakers several times. Also, took the outlet out, and checked that it is wired correctly. I’m thinking maybe the outlet is bad, or the breaker, or perhaps a disconnected wire at the breaker? I have a friend who does a lot of electrical work as part of his job, and he said he’ll come over later tomorrow and do some testing. Hopefully he’ll find out why it’s not working. Meanwhile, if any other possibilities occur to you, I really do appreciate your advice.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:54 AM   #9
Leisure Time Larry

Hopefully, it's an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #10
renman43

The tv was an east fix. There was an unplugged cord under the drawer next to the refrigerator. Unfortunately, the converter located in the same place is not working. The board appears to be shot. My friend says he has an old converter from a junked rv that will work for now.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #11
renman43

Apparently the old combination converter/inverter unit that the tv was plugged into was no longer working. Since I have never used an rv tv in a dry camping area, and rarely ever used one in a plugin campground, I decided to replace the converter/inverter with a new regular converter. If I install an additional plug or use an extension cord I can run the tv, but it’s a very low priority for us at best.

Tags
bt cruiser 5230, tv outlet plug