Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Terrass604

Default RV Service Recommendation - Houston Texas

I have a 1997 Tourmaster with the M11 engine. I have had it over 2 years. Most repairs shops will not work on an RV older than 10 years and the few that do are a pain. I took it in for service in 2019 for an oil change and new tires. They quoted me $26k, new batteries, new roof, genset overhaul, etc. I called and said I only want an oil change and new tires. the genset runs great (I serviced it before bringing in), the roof does not leak and the batteries are only 1 year old. They said OK, they just thought it would be a good idea to replace everything while it was there (??). The oil and tire change took 6 weeks and they charged full price for everything. I am hoping to find someone, preferably mobile, to do periodic work at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?
Terrass604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
hossross

If your doing vehicle service the last place to go in my opinion is an RV dealer. Discount tire will be glad to sell, mount balance and install tires at a very competitive price. I have a Valvoline Oil change franchise near me that has a door height that allows the vehicle to pull over the service pit, that will grease, chg oil, antifreeze, or trans fluid again at a lower price. At a minimum take the vehicle to a truck repair service center. If they need to lift the vehicle give them the weight and wheel base of your RV and they will tell you who can accommodate your vehicle. They probably know more about your vehicle anyway, especially any of the ford products. If you need coach work done, then ask around about who used to work at RV dealerships, as we all know the electrical diagrams can't be taken for other than guidance, and coach wall construction does require some experience with the industry. But my rule is if its vehicle related don't go to RV Dealer.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Terrass604

Thanks for the info. There are a few mobile guys around, but I have not been able to try them out. The truck shops I contacted are not interested in a motor home as they can do trucks in 10 minutes or so. The engine takes 10.5 gallons of oil or I would do it myself. I agree with you about dealers or high volume shops - never again.
Terrass604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
hossross

Sounds like you at least approached some truck garages, I found the same thing on motor home front end alignment. Most no longer do alignments on truck period, but found a frame shop did. So it does take a few calls sometimes.
As for services, I would say I appreciate this not your primary vehicle type, but what is your price to do it for me? The I don't want to do it price, may still be better than the RV Dealer. I also found to stay away from truck service at the end of the week, as the truckers will favor Thur Fri Sat morn so they can get back on routes by Monday. So Mon and Tue appointments might be easier, afterall it is still revenue to that shop.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrass604 View Post
I have a 1997 Tourmaster with the M11 engine. I have had it over 2 years. Most repairs shops will not work on an RV older than 10 years and the few that do are a pain. I took it in for service in 2019 for an oil change and new tires. They quoted me $26k, new batteries, new roof, genset overhaul, etc. I called and said I only want an oil change and new tires. the genset runs great (I serviced it before bringing in), the roof does not leak and the batteries are only 1 year old. They said OK, they just thought it would be a good idea to replace everything while it was there (??). The oil and tire change took 6 weeks and they charged full price for everything. I am hoping to find someone, preferably mobile, to do periodic work at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?
Can I say your experience only reinforces my advice to never goto a Dealer?

TIP: Get on the internet and look for TRUCK SHOPS, (many towns, usually very close (1-3-MILES?) to the RV dealers?). When you put into phone Contacts, put "(RV?)" in description or Notes, and after compiling a LIST, then go thru and call them all and discuss possibilities/ services, and then you can change it to read either (RV) or (RV+) or (RV=NO) (or remove RV note, but the (RV=No) confirms in future that you called/ discussed). Then a Search of contacts for "RV" gives a LIST. TIP 2: You can do the SIMILAR w/ a LIST of MOBILE MECHANICS and MOBILE RV TECHS. E.g. In my conversations, Mobile Mechanics do NOT work on RV systems, and RV TECHS do NOT work on RV engines For Techs, start search on Internet w/ "RVIA", to get Certified Techs.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

https://www.bing.com/search?q=RVIA+c...ANNTA1&PC=HCTS Searches w/ additional details such as your locations should yield more useful info?