Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2024, 09:14 PM   #1
Zhat189

Default Rookie Mistake Hoping I’m Not Broke After This

I'm new to owning a travel trailer. I purchased a 2019 AmeriLite 255bh and have had it filled with water until 3 weeks ago when the hard freeze came through. I was told to drain the water lines and water heater to winterize. What I didn't know was the water heater also ran on electric, and therefore had been on since purchase and for the 1 week I had it sitting dry.

I am assuming I burned out the element, which I feel comfortable replacing. However, when I tried clicking on the gas switch it did not light up. Is there a failsafe preventing gas to turn on if the water tank is empty, or did I burn up the entire water heater?

Is this a replacement a novice can fix or would I need to take it into a repair center? I'd prefer not to have to move it but also do want to make things worse than it is already.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Zhat189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:34 AM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello
Your water heater can be run off gas or electric
It sounds as if the element is burnt out and can be replaced pretty easily.
The Gas side just may need to be purged to get the air out but will still operate on gas alone.
You may have to try several times until the heater lights. If not reset and try again.Then replace the element at your own convenience.
If you need any more info I will be glad to help..

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium SE CAT
2017 20' Diamond closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater, water heater burned up, water heater element, water heater ignition