Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Air brake question

I haven't written in a while, but then, a new grandson will do that to your schedule/routine.

Anyway, we're preparing for our winter trek out of the cold and I noticed something new on the coach.

I took the coach for it's annual safety inspection and the mechanic pulled all four wheels and brakes are good. Braking is sure, it stops as expected and the pedal is solid. However, when I apply the brakes, I now hear a constant hiss. When I release the brakes, the hissing stops. I don't recall this before.

I just did a little test in the driveway with the wheels chocked. Started the vehicle and allowed the air pressure to reach max (both front and rear gauges read around 125 psi).

I applied the brake and held my foot on it for almost 3 minutes. Constant hiss. At a little over 3 minutes, the needle for the front reached 65 psi and the low air alarm sounded. Rear air was just slightly higher at around 70 psi.

When I removed my foot from the brake pedal, the hissing stopped and the pressure immediately began to build. The alarm stopped almost instantly and in about 45 seconds pressure was at max (verified by the sound of a short release of air) and no hissing until my foot depressed the brake pedal again.

Do I have a problem?