Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #1
Johnspo

Default Interested owner with a towing capacity ??

Hello Everyone,.. I hope you'll have a bit of patience on this, my first post here. I've been looking at class A's for about 3 years now and was primarily interested in a used DP 35' or under. Nothing has really caught my eye and now with interest rates what they are i was going to stop looking all together. But this past week a coach came to my attention and may be a good deal but I have one main concern. The RV is a 2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager, 16,000 original miles… 503 fuel injected Vortex. The asking price is $30,000.

The owner claims it has an Allison transmission, does this sound right. The wife and I looked att it and it is a very clean RV, but I do have a couple of concerns. I am very mechanical having been an Aircraft and industrial Technician so some of the minor things do not concern me. What I am most concerned with is the towing capacity. One of the main things we will be doing is traveling to out of state car Shows and towing a 20" aluminum open trailer with my show car. Total weight of the car and trailer would be close to 6ooo#. Is this beyond the capacity of this drive train.

Thank you and if we do purchase tthis it will be our first so I am sure I'l be looking for guidance from the experienced folks here.
Johnspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello an Allison transmission is very possible and the towing should be right around 6 or 8k towing! There should be a placard with the info listed for the weight , tires, towing capacity for the rv in question, The only down fall I see is the gas mileage.i am partial to diesel. But good luck with whatever you choose! Look for rust and leaks! And check your tire rating also, you will want to have the correct load and sidewall rating for your uses..

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium SE CAT
2017 20' Diamond closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Chuck v

Also check your tire date codes !! Older vehicles with low mileage often have tires with very little wear but are dangerously beyond their life expectancy limits. For heavy vehicles like a motor home the tires should not be older than 8 years or so, and manufacturers like Michelin say 10 years max for ANY application.

DOT requires the date code to be molded into the tire sidewall. Lots of sites on-line explain the date code system -- here is one:

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...re-date-codes/

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:05 PM   #4
Bike Dr

Just a note on the vortec engine. I have owned a 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 vortec's.
They are very strong and long lasting engine's you will hear different opinions but if I had to choose between the ford and chevy chassis it would be chevy hands down, one cost and others not worth being criticized by others and battle over opinions. Again good luck in whatever you choose. If you would like more info I'd be happy to offer it.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM SE CAT
2017 20' Diamond closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote