Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
msfw1

Default Which engine/oil filter?

I recently purchased a 2008 Tourmaster 40B with the Cummins 425 HP engine. I'm trying to figure out just which Cummins engine it is so I can get information on oil filters and engine oils for this beast. Can anyone help me? Cummins says it could be an ISC, ISL, or OSX engine. I'm at 208-569-0495 if you want to call and commiserate with me Thanks folks
msfw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: Which engine/oil filter?

Call the Freightliner Help Line and provide them your VIN number. You would also benefit from attending Camp Freightliner in Gafney, SC.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
RayHarkness

boy, you will get lots of answers on this one. As far as oil, check the manual but get good stuff!
Rotella T is one of the highest rated. Shell product..long mileage. Its what I use..so its gotta be good eh? HA!!!!

Another one, is DELO think Chevron makes it. That is well liked. If you check posts, by many truckers, they stick with many of these brands.

Filters: I would get several filters directly from your engine dealer. I pick up a couple, then I know its right. Funny part is many of these filters are actually made by the same companies, just labeled differently. Cost really makes no difference, never buy cheap.

I like Rotella T oil, and have a Cummins.

I know Cat dealers use Baldwin filters. These are two area not to cut corners on. Hope that helps..R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
03heritagerider

I just bought Rotella T at NAPA. It was on sale and cheaper than the NAPA brand. My diesel mechanic said I wasted my money (when he thought I paid full price). He said "oil is oil" as long as you change it on time and use the right weight.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
RayHarkness

well....I am not sure about oil is oil! I know some guys think the same thing, but...a good quality oil is important..First and foremost.
Honestly, I would just as soon get a really good grade, and know its good. You just never know. I would hate to repair one of those diesels or even worse,
replace it! We don't put the miles on these like you do a car. So they sit, and then run etc. If you talk to good over the road truckers, they seldom cut corners
on oil used. I think you made a wise choice.!!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
03heritagerider

Ray,

Yeah! Kidna the way I felt, but he'll argue the point with me (He's like that! )

He said "I got trucks on the road with a quarter million miles and never used anything but the cheapest oil I could find. Who do you think makes the cheap stuff?"

I change my own oil and use the brand name stuff!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
rdlamb

Weighing in on this issue may be somewhat dangerous, but here I go again.

Oil is not oil. You need a certain level of protection, lubrication, and specificity for diesel engines.
Using a SF grade oil will void your warranty, you need an oil specific for a diesel engine, then specific for a heavy duty diesel engine,
then specific for your climate, and so on.

Your Cummins dealer or Freightliner, will be glad to help you in these areas.

I've found several oil and air filter choices by visiting my local Freightliner shop. My TM currently has Rotella-T oil and Baldwin air/oil filters.

Also, I use Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. My TM may sit for a few months without being started. Having a cam shaft bearing grabbed during starting
will be expensive. Check out the Lucas site for some details, I am not a dealer nor particular to just Lucas.

Finally, my family runs a trucking company, and does farming. We have enormous diesel engines working all the time. Most have Cenex oil and filters in them, but I'm not afraid to
use Rotella or Delo, or Delco. When traveling, if you need to add oil, I'd be confident the truck stop will have one of these. Additionally, I think the best place to fill up is at a
truck stop. Truck stops cannot afford to sell cheap diesel.
Use the best oil/filter you can, change them on schedule, and worry less.

Last, I do not like a mechanic that recommends the cheapest oil you can find. Oil may be refined at the same factory, and have the same base lubrication properties, but the similarity stops there. The big oil companies use additives and additional refining to produce their individual truck oils. Many put on the product that they are willing to pay for damages caused by their oil. Unless your mechanic is willing to replace your destroyed parts, caused by cheap oil, I'd steer clear of his advice. That coach of your is expensive.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
jtking

We have 2008 TM 40A with 425 ISL. As someone said Freightliner can help with exactly which engine you have. On mine the oil filter is Fleet Guard (Cummins) LF 9009 and I have always used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in this and previous coach w/ Cummins ISB 275. I also use this oil in my Power Stroke diesel pick-up, Kubota tractor and coach generator. If you in fact have ISL I can also give you fuel filter and fuel/water filter numbers if you need them.

John
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
03heritagerider

When looking for parts, especially filters, I've found that if you call NAPA with the VIN they can look up the part for you.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
RayChez1

The engine is a ISL. No doubt about that. As far as oil you can use any oil recommended for diesel engines like Rotella.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote