Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
djqualls

Default Mirror Adjustment Strength

My Coach has the lower mounted mirrors pointing up. (like the ones on the coach ot the top of the page)

I have had problems keeping them in position once aligned. This is common problem for both but it seems more prevelant on the driver's side mirror.

The mirrors seem to ride in a ball/socket type of mechanism with a hex headed screw from the bottom that adjusts the tension of the socket around the ball.

I have tightned them but as you know you get that feel when tightening that you probably can't get it "Torque" tight because it feels as if it would strip and thus, coving around.

Does anyone have and suggestions or advice about these mirrors and possible the manufacturer of them? They are heated.

The swing arm is a good strong quality component so I'm nopt sure how strong that ball socket is.

I've had problems with the drivers side since the maiden voyage. the wind would just blow it back every few hundred miles. I had to drive about 50 miles at night the first time to find a walmart and a hex bit large enough to tighten it back.

Thanks.....
Old 12-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
earljan34

I had this problem just tightening them tight did the trick ,have you tried to retighenting them and if so was the bolt loose if it is try lock-tight on it.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

I did some searching and I believe this is the company that made the mirrors on our coaches:

BR Manufacturing, Inc (a division of Hadley)
4600 Wyland Drive - Elkhart, Indiana 46516
Phone: 574-293-5669 Fax: 574-294-7216

Maybe you can contact them and what out what is the recommended torque setting on the bolt that tightens the "ball" and mirror head to the arm.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

After I left the above post, I thought I would contact BR Manufacturing since I had a mirror move one time and thought it would be a good idea to know how tight the pivot bolts should be on our coach.

I called and they wanted to know what the make, year and model was of our coach. They had an engineer look the information and said they would call me back. Two hours later they called and provided the torque values that the bolts should be tightened at for the mirrors on our coach.

They stated that different models of mirrors have different torque values.
The mirrors on our coach are the low front mounted tall mirror with the convex mirror on top, power adjustment for upper and lower mirrors and heated.

On ours they should be tightened to torque as follows:

Arm to collet (mirror head) 20 ft. lbs.
Arm to Bracket 15 ft. Lbs

BR Manf. seems to be a great helpful company with good customer support. So if you are having a problem with your mirror, give them a call and I am sure they can advise what to do.

Ron
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
djqualls

Thanks Ron and Earl For Your help!

The power adjustment on my mirror is only for the bottom flat mirror but I'm sure it doesn't matter.

I think I have put more than 20lbs on that bolt but will put a torque wrench on it.

Dave........

P.S. Ron, Would you consider moving next door to me?.....
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
P.S. Ron, Would you consider moving next door to me?.....
Sorry Dave, Grandma says she won't leave the grandson's and live that far away from them.

But I am usually just a few keystrokes away here or sent a PM, unless we are traveling then it sometimes is a week before I get online.

Hope the information I was able to get helps you. If you still have a problem with the mirrors after tightening, I would give BR a call.

Ron
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
After I left the above post, I thought I would contact BR Manufacturing since I had a mirror move one time and thought it would be a good idea to know how tight the pivot bolts should be on our coach.

I called and they wanted to know what the make, year and model was of our coach. They had an engineer look the information and said they would call me back. Two hours later they called and provided the torque values that the bolts should be tightened at for the mirrors on our coach.

They stated that different models of mirrors have different torque values.
The mirrors on our coach are the low front mounted tall mirror with the convex mirror on top, power adjustment for upper and lower mirrors and heated.

On ours they should be tightened to torque as follows:

Arm to collet (mirror head) 20 ft. lbs.
Arm to Bracket 15 ft. Lbs

BR Manf. seems to be a great helpful company with good customer support. So if you are having a problem with your mirror, give them a call and I am sure they can advise what to do.

Ron
Today I received an update from BR about the torque max pressure,

Arm to collet (mirror head) 20 ft. lbs. recommended, 40 ft. lbs. Max

Ron
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
djqualls

Ron,

If you look at the pictures of the wreck. Look at the new adjustment on the driver's side mirror.

When I took it out today it was easier to look our since it is closer to the window.

Does it look awkward? It doesn't look to uniform with the other side, but works better. Any suggestions/comments?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

I saw the mirror and I believe if it works better for you in that position, and it suits you, then that is all that matters.

It sounds like you found a good dealer just a couple hours away from you home to handle your service needs. If your mirrors didn't move from that impact from the wreck, then they have taken care of that problem I would say.

Ron
Old 12-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
earljan34

Dave, The only thing I would look out for with the mirror in that position in narrow toll booths !

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote