Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
bbaluski

Question Gel-coat repair?

Is there a way to restore the gel-coat on my BT? When it rains I get a white residue on the windshield, also all the shine is gone.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
ezdriver

I don't know if this will "restore" the finish, but I'll tell you how I maintain the "nose cone" as I call it, the front cap on my BT Cruiser, and it is still in good condition after 12 years.
First clean it thoroughly, using the bug remover spray where necessary.
After it's dry, I spray on and wipe off with a buffing motion the "303" Protectant Spray. This spray is made by Gold Eagle, you may have seen it on the self in an RV store. Be sure you get the "303 PROTECTANT", not the wax or cleaner. It's labelled as "303 Aerospace Protectant Spray" at Campingworld. I use it on all exterior fiberglass and plastic surfaces.
"303" does not make it shine, it gives it a soft glow, and helps prevent much of the chalky residue on the windshield. Don't worry if it looks streaked after applying, the streaks will be gone in a day.
I use the "303" after every washing, which is before and after each long trip we take, maybe 3 or 4 long trips per year.
If it's really in bad shape, give it another coat of "303" after a couple of days. I think this will "restore" the fiberglass finish to some extent. The directions say "Extra buffing with a dry cloth INCREASES bonding, repellency & longevity." At least it's a low cost attempt without having to resort to paint or new gel-coat.
I hope this helps, and let this forum know your results.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
jamesham

Default Had this problem myself and fixed it.

I used Poly Glow Boat Products on my nose cone to eliminate the chalk marks on my windshield. This line of products was made for the boating industry and can be purchased online or from any place like Cabellas that sells boats. It is basically a clear coat finish that has a good shine. But it is labor-intensive in prep the first time. After that, a quick wash and recoat yearly keeps the shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaluski View Post
Is there a way to restore the gel-coat on my BT? When it rains I get a white residue on the windshield, also all the shine is gone.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
Ken & De

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaluski View Post
I had the same problem with our Gulfstream and I second the "303 PROTECTANT" it will solve the problem. I do the entire roof, we have a carport so it lasts quite a while. If exposed I would guess your going to reapply annually.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
tevz32

Default Nose cone

My question is: How do you reach the nose cone to apply any kind of protectorate ?
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
Elwood

Default Elwood & MS Elwood Adventures

I use a 15 ft ladder I purchased just for the purpose of reaching most of the cap, I also use my grandkids who don't weigh that much on the roof with an extension pole to Wash and wax the front cap.
Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
tevz32

Thanks. Do you loan out lightweight grandkids?
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
bbaluski

Default Thanks

I went to the marine shop and bought the 303. I also found a de-oxygenation which I used first. Applied the sealant. So far so good. It looks like new. I could have used those grand-kids as well.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
bbaluski

I used it and it looked wonderful. lot of work though. definitely a once a year thing.