Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
bbaluski

Question Clunking noise when flat towing

I hear a clunking noise when flat towing our car. It happens both when we brake and when we take off? We have the blue ox and have been using it for about 2 years. Just started making the noise.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Colorado350

Sounds like something is worn out. Check your, actual hitch bolts, pins, ball (wear and torque), go somewhere safe like a large parking lot, one person watches connections while the other gives the TV a little throttle and quick braking, that should help narrow it down.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
bmojmhs

I had the same problem. What it was, the bolts that hold the hitch to the motorhome had come loose and lost. I found this out when I looked in my mirror and my towed car was pulling out to pass me. The bolts holding the hitch did not have locknuts on them. I replaced all of bolts and nuts (with lock nuts), torqued them, and now I check them to make sure they are still there.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
RayChez1

How do you know the noise is coming from the Blue Ox? What coach do you own, If you have a diesel pusher, it could be a U-joint or a tire that is starting to peel off. On my coach it would be hard to hear anything making noise on the towed vehicle while rolling.

Blue Ox would not be worn out in two years. I have had mine now for sixteen years and still works great. I just pull back the rubber boots and lube it, plus other points that could use a little lubrication. Other then that Blue Ox builds a tow hitch that lasts a long time.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
KenL

Check your hub caps are tight, when loose, they can make a knocking noise as the tire rotates
KenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
jamesham

We get a clunk from the play of the hitch bar inside the hitch receiver. There is a black U bolt device sold to tighten it up and stop the noise. We tried some wedges in the side of the hitch but they fell out shortly. A plain U bolt that is large enough and flat enough would do the job.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
bbaluski

Bought a U bolt and changed the pin size to a bigger pin and clunking has gone away. Thank you everyone.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
bbaluski

Good advice should probably check wheels when I rotate the tires and the bolts that hold the hitch on as pre-trip maintenance.