Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Black water tank filling fast

When we were out camping last Summer I noticed that the black water tank was filling up fast. I knew we were not woing #2 & #1 that much since they were only two of us. So I got to checking and found that my bathroom sink also goes into the Black tank and I was just running the water like there was no tomorrow. After I discovered this and was careful I found the tank would last a lot longer then before. I don't know why they chose to plumb the system that way. It is on a 2004 Sunvoyager model #83792
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Just about everyone I have spoken to has the same setup. My Tourmaster does as well. It does help to insure that you are putting enought water in the tank.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
RJ82much

Darby,

I have been aware for a while that the toilet & bathroom sink combine in the black tank (as the shower & kitchen sink combine in the grey tank).

Like you, there are 2 of us using the toilet. On our last outing in the fall, it was more convenient to use the mh toilet facility than the campground's. No problem because there was a sewer hookup anyway.

Within a couple days, though our black tank indicator displayed less than ? full, water and "stuff" filled the toilet standpipe & would not flush down. I ended up using a stick plus water hose to move the "pile" & get it out the sewer hose. Several days later, the same thing happened. We used plenty of water during the days, filled the tank using the internal flush nozzles in preparation to dumping and still I had the problem. We'll be changing our procedure to see if we can eliminate the problem.

What a way to spend vacation time!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
zzrv

My Ultra Supreme is set up the same way. I think its a good idea to ensure the black tank has enough water to flush out the solids when dumping. Have not had a 'problem' with it filling up too fast. I guess we tend to use water more conservatively whether hooked up or not.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default black water

My buddy did not have the bathroom sink drain into black water tank in his RV, he had to use a hose to clean out holding tank more times. I think the extra water helps drain out the CR_P . My 8357I GS has the bathroom sink drain into black tank like the rest of you. See GS did good on this one. Bob-n-Liz
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
darbyjudy

Default Probably good engineering

Well I have never had any problems with buildup in the black tank so I am thinking that the additional water must be good. Since I found out that it does go into the black tank I am a little more careful how much water I run when brushing the teeth and washing the hands. With just the two of us we are able to go over two weeks without dumping the black tank. I do carry the blue tank for the grey water though. Wife still like to take the shower in her own bathroom.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
hyall

Default sinks?

the units with 1 1/2 baths which lavatory drains into the black tank hall bath or master bath? also its best to start with several gallons of water in the black tank so melting process develops or liquefy the waste to drain properly
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
rdlamb

In a previous post, which I cannot locate, I related what my plumber friend found with his optical snake that he graciously used to scope my commode.

In my TM, the GS factory plumbed the toilet to the blackwater tank so close to the side of the tank that "stuff" would slime down the wall to the tank's floor. Also, the sensors are right there, where the "stuff" will pile.
With this information, I agree, having the bathroom sink drain into the tank would be a help. However, the sink does not connect to the toilet's pipe, but enters the black tank at a different point, toward the outlet. So, water will sort of float up around the pile of "stuff", but does not help wash the pile into a pool of liquid.

To help, I have found that a big container of "dishwasher" tablets, with several of these tossed into the tank when we are moving to another site, will clean the sensors so that I can get some idea of how much "stuff" is in the tank.
Otherwise, it is a guess.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
mhogge

When I set up yesterday at my over night rv park I noticed that I had water (seems fresh) dripping off the top of my Black water tank any Ideas as to what could cause that?
My rig is a 2994 Gulfstream Sunvoyager.

Thanks all
mhogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
Bobby

When that happened on my Conquest it was he sink drain pipe was loose at the tank connection.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote