Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
GStream40
Site Team

Default Electrical Repair list

Well, this was the day I decided to repair a couple of electrical problems on the coach. Really the wife reminded that on the last trip the light above the sink stopped working.
We have four slideouts, the kitchen sink and range top are in the one slide. I figured it was just the bulbs at first, then I found out that none of the three lights worked and the range top igniter did not work.
Hmmm...No 12 volt worked at all on that slide. Okay, maybe a fuse.
So I got out all the blueprints I have and checked to see where the fuse was located. Darn, Fuse was okay.
So I took the panel in the one cabinet out so I could see the wiring feed to the slide, everything looked okay, but I could not get a reading between the positive and ground. Okay, back to the blueprints.
I found that the wiring went under the pull out pantry cabinet, under the frig and up behind the frig.
So I went outside to the frig access/side wall vent and removed the vent cover. There the wires were along with many others. I traced the ground wire up to a grounding block.
The ground wire was hanging out of the crimp terminal and not making a connection. It had not been crimped correctly from the factory when the coach was made.
So I got a new terminal, crimped it on the wire, correctly this time, inserted it under the screw.
Went back in the coach, SUCCESS, all the lights work and rangetop igniter works. Wife is happy!!

Next item: Bathroom flourescent light not working. This one was easy, the flourescent lamps burnt out. Went to Lowe's and purchased two new lamps @ $6.14 each!!! WOW, one would think that the smaller the lamp, the smaller the price, wrong. Now these are the 12" long flourescent tubes #F8T5 8 watts.

Anyway, It was good day for repairs. The wife thinks I was working hard since I was at the motorhome for four hours, but it really only took two hours for the repairs, I took a two nap with the air on. Shhh.. Don't tell her!

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
RJ82much

Gees Ron, I do the same thing. Though if the tv antenna isn't up, I can't put it up 'cause that's a dead giveaway from the house that I may not be working hard!

I've recently had a couple of quikees (electrical repairs) that have gotten me some great afternoon naps!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Chuck v

Ron,

You have blueprints for your coach?!?!?! I can't even get the most basic schematics for my TourMaster...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v
Ron,

You have blueprints for your coach?!?!?! I can't even get the most basic schematics for my TourMaster...

Chuck
Yep, Sure do! Some I received from Gulf Stream that I asked for from one of the VP's. Some from another source. They are all PDF files on my computer.

I know that most times Gulf Stream will not release prints, But I found that if you have a problem and get hold of the right person, they will release a print in relationshion to your specific problem.

At least that was the way it was in past for me.

Ron
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Gees Ron, I do the same thing. Though if the tv antenna isn't up, I can't put it up 'cause that's a dead giveaway from the house that I may not be working hard!

I've recently had a couple of quikees (electrical repairs) that have gotten me some great afternoon naps!
Bob,
Since our coach is stored in the RV storage lot in the 55+ community that we live in, the wife can't see the coach from the house so it makes it easy to be "working" in the coach without the supervisor.

Isn't it funny that "quikees" had a different meaning in the afternoon when younger!

Ron
Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
boatguypat

Default Re: Electrical Repair list

Ron - could you share the pdfs?