Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Cpneedshelp

Default New to the site

Hello, I'm very happy that I found the Gulfstream owners forum, My wife and I just bought a 2008 gulfstream BT Cruiser, model 5291, it's our first RV, planning to take off 01/2020, for 6 months, going to fla and southwest, we have so much to learn before we take off, also want to make some upgrades to a few things, I would appreciate any help, thanks so much
Cpneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
purduepete12

I also have BTCruiser model 5291B but it is a 2007 on a 2006 chassis.
Take your coach out for a drive and assess how it handles.
I bought mine new in 2007 and white knuckled it home all the way from the dealer.
The inner rear dual tires only had 40 psig. It would wander all over the road.
The specification for caster setting on the wheel alignment from Ford is "minus 1 to plus 7. My vehicle was at zero so I had it raised to the maximum adjustment possible of +4 and now tracks like it's on rails. I also had 2 extra leafs put in the rear springs to raise it to 13 due to the overloaded design. Take it to a truck stop with scales and weigh the front axle the whole coach and the rear axle to make sure your not driving an overloaded coach.
Good Luck!
Purduepete2
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Graygal

We have the same model as you. A 2008.
Will share advice if we can be of help.
Graygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
CAP

Welcome Aboard !!
I have the 2006 - 5291
Bought mine in Florida and drove back to Long Island. I had a white knuckle ride like Purduepete2 but found the struts in the front were the lightest you could go. My back tire pressure was OK as I had all checked before I left. Gulfstream cut corners on a safety issue. When I got the heavy duty ones installed, she stayed on the road.

Do yourself a huge favor, that's if it hasn't been done already, and take all the bay locks off...take them to a locksmith and get them re-keyed. Anyone in the RV industry that has a set of master keys can open your bays. Ever seen a service guy ask you for a key to get into your bay? There are 7 keys that fit the locks from a travel trailer to a Class A coach. When I'm getting mine serviced now and I'm asked for a key....question WHY? There are no plumbing, elec or any other things he needs. They usually leaves with a red face.

If your towing a car get the hitch lock that has a key. I lost my car in the beginning as I had a cotter pin in it and some nice person removed it. Thank Gawd I was driving into a gas station when the car cut loose. It crawled and got stopped by a curb. Scared the Hell out of me.

The other thing I want you to check is the area around the slides on the floor. Take the end of a screw driver and push the floor. If it gives....you might have a slide leak. I had one in my dinette slide and that sucker cost me $5k to repair.

I modified the cabinet under the stove and the narrow cabinets next to it. I am fully functional with my slides closed as far as cooking. I also took the TV out and put in a flat screen that is attached to a door. I use the TV in my kitchen in the RV. The space behind the TV got turned into storage. That one was a dilly to do, but Formica works.

Any questions.....give me a shout and many happy trails to you.

Carolyn
[email protected]
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP View Post
Welcome Aboard !!
I have the 2006 - 5291
Bought mine in Florida and drove back to Long Island. I had a white knuckle ride like Purduepete2 but found the struts in the front were the lightest you could go. My back tire pressure was OK as I had all checked before I left. Gulfstream cut corners on a safety issue. When I got the heavy duty ones installed, she stayed on the road.

Do yourself a huge favor, that's if it hasn't been done already, and take all the bay locks off...take them to a locksmith and get them re-keyed. Anyone in the RV industry that has a set of master keys can open your bays. Ever seen a service guy ask you for a key to get into your bay? There are 7 keys that fit the locks from a travel trailer to a Class A coach. When I'm getting mine serviced now and I'm asked for a key....question WHY? There are no plumbing, elec or any other things he needs. They usually leaves with a red face.

If your towing a car get the hitch lock that has a key. I lost my car in the beginning as I had a cotter pin in it and some nice person removed it. Thank Gawd I was driving into a gas station when the car cut loose. It crawled and got stopped by a curb. Scared the Hell out of me.

The other thing I want you to check is the area around the slides on the floor. Take the end of a screw driver and push the floor. If it gives....you might have a slide leak. I had one in my dinette slide and that sucker cost me $5k to repair.

I modified the cabinet under the stove and the narrow cabinets next to it. I am fully functional with my slides closed as far as cooking. I also took the TV out and put in a flat screen that is attached to a door. I use the TV in my kitchen in the RV. The space behind the TV got turned into storage. That one was a dilly to do, but Formica works.

Any questions.....give me a shout and many happy trails to you.

Carolyn
[email protected]

You can lock up everything. That just makes dishonest people do more damage robbing you.

Just my opinion.

Sudsy